Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Douglas Coupland recommendations

Options
  • 02-06-2006 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭

I read Generation X a good many years ago and loved it.

Never got round to reading anything else by Douglas Coupland and by the looks of things he's written another seven or eight books?

Which ones would you recommend?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I've only ever read Microserfs, but I really enjoyed it. I have Girlfriend in a Coma on my list, but as yet haven't made any real inroads into it. I'll let you know when I've read it what I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Gf in a coma is odd but interesting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I kinda enjoyed Microserfs but gave up 1/3rd through Jennifer Government.
    Not going to go buying any more of his soon.

I kinda enjoyed Microserfs but gave up 1/3rd through Jennifer Government.
    Not going to go buying any more of his soon.

Oi! Jennifer Govt is by Max Barry, not Douglas Coupland! I agree - it's a terrible book, the promotional on-line game was far more entertaining. But don't blame poor Dougie for that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I'm reading JPod at the moment and it is awesome stuff. Really liked Generation X and I have The Gum Thief next up on the "to read" list.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well Generation X was by far my favourite, but you've read that already.
    Next recommendation would be Girlfriend In A Coma. It's wildly (often bemusingly) uneven, but its unique and poignant enough to be worth a read, even if it goes a bit mental in the last third or so.
    JPod > Microserfs, IMO, mainly because it feels fresher and more contemporary.

He's an odd writer altogether, as he often damages his books with bizarre creative decisions that often backfire. But at least his books are exciting and different, and of the five or six Ive read, I have never really disliked any of them. I disliked moments, but the whole experience tends to be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Well Generation X was by far my favourite, but you've read that already.
    Next recommendation would be Girlfriend In A Coma. It's wildly (often bemusingly) uneven, but its unique and poignant enough to be worth a read, even if it goes a bit mental in the last third or so.
    JPod > Microserfs, IMO, mainly because it feels fresher and more contemporary.

He's an odd writer altogether, as he often damages his books with bizarre creative decisions that often backfire. But at least his books are exciting and different, and of the five or six Ive read, I have never really disliked any of them. I disliked moments, but the whole experience tends to be worth it.

I'm currently reading the prime numbers between 10,000 and 100,000. Can't say I've ever read that in a book before!

Ben Folds ftw btw. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

So far, my favourite at the moment is Girlfriend In A Coma. As has been said above, really odd, but interesting. It was one of those books, where, as soon as i'd finished it, i really missed it and the characters. Read the Gum Thief. Really good. Also, i've heard really good things about All Families Are Psychotic. I must admit, i'm struggling through Microserfs. It's literally about working in an office at Microsoft. I knew that beforehand, i suppose. But i don't know, it's kind of a drag. You leave work, then start reading this!!

I liked Gen X and GF in a Coma but I'd advise you to avoid Miss Wyoming (I read it since this thread was started) - it's like reading a soap opera script!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Girlfriend in a coma is my favourite. It one of the least arch - and most lyrical - of his books.

For the same reasons, I recommend Hey Nostradamus! too.

The only book that disappointed me was Jpod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Shampoo Planet and Life After God ore too of my favourites, and also, I think, closer to the style of Generation X than some of his other work.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Just finished readin JPod and I thoroughly enjoyed it. If I was to pick two Coupland books to recommend they'd probably be Girlfriend in a Coma and Hey, Nostrodamus. Both are well written with good casts of characters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Ben Folds ftw btw. :D

I had no idea where you got that from for a minute and then I rechecked my profile. Two years and no else had mentioned the reference to date :D Good work!
    And I strongly agree - Folds ftw.
    EDIT: Just noticed this thread is a year and a half old : lollers.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

Hey Nostradamus is definitely my favourite. It's probably the least Couplandy book. Also really enjoyed Girlfriend in a Coma, Eleanor Rigby, Jpod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭rainglow

Gen X, Microserfs and Shampoo Planet are my favourite. I'd choose SP as my favourite if somebody held a gun to my head. I thought JPod was a little nutso, even for Coupland. Still my favourite author though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Just finished the Gum Tree. Disappointing. I felt the same about Jpod; i'm starting to fret a little....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

monkey9 wrote: »
    So far, my favourite at the moment is Girlfriend In A Coma. As has been said above, really odd, but interesting. It was one of those books, where, as soon as i'd finished it, i really missed it and the characters. Read the Gum Thief. Really good. Also, i've heard really good things about All Families Are Psychotic. I must admit, i'm struggling through Microserfs. It's literally about working in an office at Microsoft. I knew that beforehand, i suppose. But i don't know, it's kind of a drag. You leave work, then start reading this!!
    Microserfs is hilarious! I've read most of his books and have pretty much enjoyed them all, apart from maybe Eleanor Rigby, which went a bit mental with that airport scene. All Families are Psychotic was hilarious, and I remember reading it thinking it was quite cinematic. Whatever happened to the film?

Advertisement