Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 months

Options
  • 02-06-2006 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hello
    Its simple I am 18 and have 3 free months in which I intend to cycle.I own A racer but my question is thus. I am farley un fit and want to look like a pro by august what can I do

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭godfather69er

greg-h wrote:
    Hello
    Its simple I am 18 and have 3 free months in which I intend to cycle.I own A racer but my question is thus. I am farley un fit and want to look like a pro by august what can I do

**** cycling learn to run 8 miles every 2nd day if ya wanna get some tone and eat when ya need ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

**** cycling learn to run 8 miles every 2nd day if ya wanna get some tone and eat when ya need ta

Go to the fitness forum if there is one.I wouldn't recommend running if you own a bike.Bad for the old knees the running is!:)

Franky Boy wrote:
    Go to the fitness forum if there is one.I wouldn't recommend running if you own a bike.Bad for the old knees the running is!:)

ye but cycling in all fairness is pretty **** for fitness when compared with swimming nd running.
    get yourself a pair of nike moto3 and run on the grass, i am 18 too and have done a marathon and have been running at least 5 miles every 2nd day for the last 2 and a half years trust me running or swimming coupled with sit ups and push ups will tone out your legs and you will have a 6 pack and muscley arms and shoulders. and dont ignore bike all together i cycle instead of car and bus so try to do the same and you will have no probs on the beach in spain this august;)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭wahlrab

sure running will get you fit and you'll lose weight but if your involved in any sports that need speed don't just jog as you'll lose your speed do sprints and jog i can send you a sprints session if you need one

wahlrab wrote:
    sure running will get you fit and you'll lose weight but if your involved in any sports that need speed don't just jog as you'll lose your speed do sprints and jog i can send you a sprints session if you need one

thats true aswell but besure to put 100% into the sprints as if ya dont there aint much point and btw they are very hard and gruelling

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭greg-h

Yes running iis a good idea and I will try it but cycling is what I love I love watching the pro tour and le tour I will run but I also intend to cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

greg-h wrote:
    Yes running iis a good idea and I will try it but cycling is what I love I love watching the pro tour and le tour I will run but I also intend to cycle
    If you love cycling then go for some long cycles. Today I went over to Howth, cycled up the hill, bought fish at Beshoffs and cycled over the hill again. 40 mile round trip. I have the sunburn to prove it.

Last weekend I went from Coolmine (Dublin 15) around a bunch of quiet country roads I'd never been on before (Lexlip, Maynooth, Dunboyne, Kilbride, Hollystown, home). Another 40 miles. It was quite relaxing but fun.
    Just head off and discover the places around where you live.

I agree that cycling won't give you the toning, or fitness, you are looking for. I do a bit of running too - I find it much harder than cycling (and therefore more beneficial for fitness). A few weights would help too (e.g. using dumbells at home).

Advertisement