Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Corrales v Castillo III

• 02-06-2006 10:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭

Well this Saturday night(well Sunday morning) is the rubber match between Diego 'Chico' Corrales and 'El Temible' Jose Luis Castillo in what is bound to be another classic fight just like the first two .

In the first fight , they exchanged blows nonstop while leaning on in each other(the fight could have been faught in a telephone boot) with neither paying any attention to defence . In the 10th Castillo put down Corrales twice , both huge knockdowns which seemed like they were going to end the fight . Corrales took out his mouthpiece both times after being knocked down buying valuable time . After the second knockdown Joe Goosen(trainer of Corrales) said what to me are unforgetable words 'you gotta ****ing get inside on him now' , at this point it looked like Corrales barely knew where he was and most trainers would have told their man to just hang on for the rest of the round and try and get their head clear . Corrales took Goosen's advice though and gambled trying to get inside , as it looked like Castillo was about to finnish him Corrales landed a hail mary right hand rocking Castillo .
    After another clean shot Castillo was put and the ropes and pounded till his arms drop and he lay defenceless as Richard Steele was left with no option but to stop the fight giving us what may have been the most remarkable turn around in a major fight ever .

If there was a hint of contraversy in the first fight(with the mouthpiece issue) the second would do much more than match it . Castillo failed to make the and was fined but the fight went ahead . The second fight took off exactly the same as every round in the first fight(bar the 10th) with the two fighters right on top of each other throwing bombs with little care for defence . Except this time Castillo looked a lot stronger and it was starting to become clear that Castillo didn't fail to make the weight , he chose not to . A short beautiful left hook caught Corrales in the 4th and there as no getting up this time as he was counted out .Castillo had picked up an injury in training during the lead up to the fight and it seems after this he decided it would be too hard on him to make weight , so he didn't . That's enough contraversy right there and I haven't even gone into the tampering with the scales issue .

So it's one a piece as we go into the third fight and one things for sure , it's bound to be a great fight . The first was fight of the year last year(and my pick for the greatest fight of all time) and the second fight was probably somewhere in the top 10 for the best fights of last year ( certainly the best fight to last less than 6 rounds) .

My money has to be one Castillo , he looked stronger in the first fight before being miraculously stopped and in the second he was clearly stronger , even though he came in with an unfair advantage I still feel Castillo is definetly the stronger and despite Chico having the ability to outbox Castillo he has to much Pride and warrior spirit to even try .

Should be a barnstormer , Castillo TKO in the 7th .

Corrales or Castillo ? 2 votes

Castillo
    0%
    Corrales
    100%
    Big EarsWellyJ 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Corrales
    sorry I should have giving a bit more info at the end .
    The whole thing starts at 2am on Sky Sports 1 , to be repeated at 7:30 am on Sky Sports 1 and 10:30 am on Sky Sports 2 . It is only for the WBC Lightweight title , as the WBO title has stripped from Corrales and has since been won by Acelino Freitas(the man Corrales won the title off) .

I see only one scheduled fight on the undercard but it looks like a good one .
    Vic Darchinya:http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=042089
    takes on Luis Maldonado:http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=018788

For Darchinyan's IBF and IBO Flyweight titles . Both hit very hard but I am favouring Darchinyan to win the fight on points . Darchinyan is trying to get a fight with Jorge Arce (WBC interim champ) but Arce wants to force a fight with Pongsaklek Wonjongkam (WBC regular champ) before facing Darchinyan .

and incase anyones interested Castillo and Corrales' records:
    www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=008837
    www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=006722

very , very bad news : Castillo has weighed in at 139.5 lbs (4.5 lbs over the Lightweight limit) , Corrales has made the weight . Corrales had said beforehand he would not fight if Castillo weighed over the limit and only his pride allowed him to do so the last time . I hope to god Corrales allows it again but this time he gets his reward for making weight and knocks Castillo the **** out .
    He's dwon to 137lbs and I think(not sure) has another 2 hours to lose the rest of the weight .

If he does make it and the fight doesn't go ahead at a catchweight , then I change my pick to Corrales .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Corrales
    Castillo fails to make weight and the fight is cancelled :( .
    Darchinyan v Maldonado goes ahead .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Fuucking disgraceful, I was looking so forward to this. I cant believe he did it a second time, total disrespect to the sport, the fans and to corrales. Corrales is 100% right not to fight. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Geiger

Can't believe its happened again...He had some cheek to even get up on those scales.

Advertisement