Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom Wireless Router - Smart Broadband

• 02-06-2006 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

Hey,

I have an Eircom wireless router the standard jobby. The netopia one.

I have since switched to Smart telecom but I only have the standard router they provide. I want to use my old Eircom wireless router on the smart connection. Is that possible?? If anyone has done this and can point me in the right direction for how to get it up and running thatd be great. Even if I have to use the smart router for the connection but could use the wireless router as well.

If its not possible Ill buy a new router.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'd be interested in this too, and similarly have the wireless Netopia from Eircom, and the Aolynk DR814 supplied by Smart.

I realise Smart use ADSL2+ so maybe replacing the Aolynk with the Netopia isn't possible (unless you can change the Eircom branded firmware to make the Netopia capable of working with ADSL2+)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

You can use the Eircom router for just wireless. Connect the Smart router as normal, feed a network cable into the Eircom router, set up the wireless on it and you should be able to connect. If you're using DHCP, make sure the Smart router is the DHCP server, otherwise you'll have gateway issues.

Also, make sure you change the ip address of the Eircom router so you don't have an ip conflict between the routers. If the Smart router is 192.168.1.1, make the Eircom router 192.168.1.2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Will this work seeing as the Netopias are ADSL modem/routers and their WAN port is rj11 (phoneline)?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

You don't need to worry about the WAN port. Just connect one of the RJ45 ports on the Smart router to one of the RJ45 ports on the Netopia. You may need a cross over cable though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

byte wrote:
    I'd be interested in this too, and similarly have the wireless Netopia from Eircom, and the Aolynk DR814 supplied by Smart.

I realise Smart use ADSL2+ so maybe replacing the Aolynk with the Netopia isn't possible (unless you can change the Eircom branded firmware to make the Netopia capable of working with ADSL2+)
    If it's the Netopia 3347NWG then it's already ADSL2+ compatible. Even non ADSL2+ modems will work on an ADSL2+ line but you will suffer if you're too far from the exchange.

• Advertisement
    byte

kaizersoze wrote:
    If it's the Netopia 3347NWG then it's already ADSL2+ compatible. Even non ADSL2+ modems will work on an ADSL2+ line but you will suffer if you're too far from the exchange.
    Yes, that's the one I have. Would I need to update the firmware on it? I'd like to get rid of the Eircom menu's that currently are on it.

byte wrote:
    Yes, that's the one I have. Would I need to update the firmware on it? I'd like to get rid of the Eircom menu's that currently are on it.
    From what I can see (on the Netopia website) the only difference between the Netopia firmware and the Eircom firmware is just branding and settings like having the username/password preset. All these preset settings can be changed without a firmware upgrade. These are the settings from the Smart website:
    DSL Modem
    Connection Protocol: PPPOE
    Modulation Type: G.DMT(G992.1/3/5)
    Multiplexing: LLC
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35
    Security Protocol: PAP
    Username: Detailed in your welcome letter
    Password: Detailed in your welcome letter
    Wan IP: Automatically Assigned
    Default Gateway: Automatically Assigned
    DNS
    DNS Server 1: 84.203.254.34
    DNS Server 2: 84.203.255.34
    There are 2 settings there that don't appear on the Netopia, "Modulation Type" & "Security Protocol" but I don't know if the are specific to the Aolynk or Smart BB.
    Why don't you set up the Netopia and see if it syncs. If it does, connect to the pc and enter your user/pass. It should work. There are plenty using non-Smart modems.

byte

Cheers, might give it a lash.

I wonder if hte Modulation Type has got to do with choosing ADSL2+, ADSL, etc.

Might check out the Smart Support board.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

byte wrote:
    I wonder if hte Modulation Type has got to do with choosing ADSL2+, ADSL, etc.
    Not too sure on the netopia model modulation types, but for the aolynk:
    G.Dmt = ADSL1
    G.Dmt.Bis = ADSL2
    G.Dmt.BisPlus = ADSL2+

:)

byte

Ah yeah. My Aolynk currently is at G.Dmt.BisPlus, which as you say indicates ADSL2+.

If the Netopia doesn't have this option, then I can't see how I can use it as a ADSL2+ router, unless there is a firmware udpate.

EDIT: The Netopia site says the 33xx series are ADSL2+ compatible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Unless you have a really poor line, running the netopia at ADSL1 won't have much (if any) difference on speeds

byte wrote:
    Ah yeah. My Aolynk currently is at G.Dmt.BisPlus, which as you say indicates ADSL2+.

If the Netopia doesn't have this option, then I can't see how I can use it as a ADSL2+ router, unless there is a firmware udpate.

EDIT: The Netopia site says the 33xx series are ADSL2+ compatible.
    As I said before;) .
    Hook it up and see if it works. You're not going to break anything. Those modulation setting may be specific to the aolynk and may already be pre configured in the netopia. It picks up everything automatically from the line, probably the modulation aswell.
    At least connect it to the phone line to see if it syncs (disconnecting the aolynk first of course).

byte

Tried and failed! :(

The Netopia will sync alright, but that's about as far as the fun goes!

It would probably work if I could get rid of the Eircom firmware and replace with standard Netopia fw, but updating with fw from Netopia site fails also, and I get a link to Eircom fw instead :/

My firmware version is 7.4.2r2.
    There is a 7.6.0R4 on the Netopia site here:
    http://www.netopia.com/support/hardware/3347nwvgx.html
    The link is at the top right of the page just under the little pcture of the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Sherman

It took a while, but I got there.

Here is what I did - best of luck

1. Telnet to the modem\router
    telnet 192.168.1.254
    2. Username \ Passwords if required
    3. Configure
    4. dmt type
    5. set adsl2+
    6. up
    7. up (back at top level)
    8. ppp
    9. set
    10. Keep hitting enter until port-authentication appears, then change to
    11. pap-only
    12. Hit enter a few times.
    13. Exit
    14. restart (Telnet session finishes...)
    15. Wait a minute or two until the "Internet" light turns green...
    16. Surf from the garden (weather permitting!):cool:

Advertisement