Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

that's cat.

Options
  • 03-06-2006 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭

I knew it would happen one day, tonight a passenger accused me of letting rip with a stinker, it wasn't me honest. It seems occasionally i pull up behind a car, any car at the lights and an odour very like rotten eggs wafts into my car. I always rekoned it was the catalitic converter on the car in front But I'm not 100%, could it be my AC, although it never happens while I'm traveling with nothing in front. It's terrilbly embarressing trying to explain to a disgusted passenger, who's paying me, that I haven't opened my lunch box madam.
    Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Was the offending vechicle in front a diesel???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Conar

Most likely a catalitic converter. Tend to smell like rotten eggs afaik!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

yea, the cat will produce a rotten egg smell when its not fully up to temp.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The smell is normal - usually from newer cars. The gas AFAIK is hydrogen sulphide - same as rotten eggs as mentioned earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

or it could be you..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

crosstownk wrote:
    The gas AFAIK is hydrogen sulphide - same as rotten eggs as mentioned earlier.

It is hydrogen sulphide (H2S)
    crosstownk wrote:
    The smell is normal - usually from newer cars

Right again. Newer cars have 3-way catalytic converters. These store sulfur when the engine is not running or cruising. The cat releases the sulfur as hydrogen sulfide after starting the car in the morning (cat is cold) or even with a warm cat when accelerating hard

@OP - try explaining that to your punters :D

Advertisement