Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bring a pet into rented accommodation !

Options
  • 03-06-2006 6:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

just looking for a bit of advice - myself and my fiance are a pair of dubs who were living in kilkenny bought a house all the usual but decided (and i don't know why) that we missed the big city life - we're both back in dublin now and living with her parents short term but needless to say we can't afford to buy in dublin so my question is - would landlords be open to a couple who have owned their own property and who have a (very well behaved i must say) Golden Labrador renting their accom and all moving in? we're just worried about this or would our best bet be to hide him and hope no-one finds out?

any help would be much appreciated,
    cheers
    dv

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bamboozled

All contracts i've signed for rented accommodation (and there's been plenty in Cork and Dublin) have had it written in about "no Pets" along with a list of all the other things you cant do in rented accommodation.

Most places use a standard contract and it would probably be part of that.

Depending on whether you're using a letting agency or dealing direct with a landlord, you're best bet would be to ask the landlord/agency of the property while viewing and see how it goes.

I would advise you to be upfront about a pet as some people are allergic and may find out anyway through their allergies and if you havent been honest and brought a pet in when your contract is signed with No Pets, then you'll have broken your contract and wont have any comeback.

But give them the whole story - as in he is housetrained etc.
    If it is ok wit hthe landlord, then make sure you get it in writing on the contracts and if they're using a standard contract, go through it and find the bit about No Pets and make sure its crossed out on both and initialed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

Maybe you could go through some dog society to find dog friendly landlords? ISPCA or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭dvoakes

thanks for the advice i think we're going to have to be upfront - i was only thinking that i'm sure there are families who move to rent for different reasons and would have pets and children who can be as bad as each other -will check the ISPCA route aswell thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I put the same clause into my lease and when I was down at the house about 2 months ago, saw that my tenant has a rabbit hutch in the back garden with one rabbit.

The fact she has 2 small kids I don't want to be a dick and tell her get rid....didn't even mention it to her, but I wouldn't allow a dog purely for the reason that the back garden is too small.

I wouldn't try to hide him....I'd be upfront if I was you

Advertisement