Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passat tracking: front AND rear need to be done?

Options
  • 03-06-2006 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

Replaced a trackrod end on my car last weekend and now need to get it tracked.

Two garages claim that it has to be done front and rear, im sceptical. In any event, the tracking passed NCT two weeks ago, just the end was worn and needed to be replaced.

Its a 97 passat (B6 chassis IIRC)

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd just get the front done - but most places do four wheel alignment for more or less the same price as front.

If you have no issues with tyre wear etc on the rear then I'd leave well enough alone and just get the front done.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

a good car like this at this age would probably benefit from a proper 4 wheel alignment. what will pass the nct and what is a good idea are usually two very different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Thanks for the replies folks.

The rear is perfect. The only reason I need to get it done is because I changed the trackrod end on the front, the new part was a slightly different length and so the RF is now toed out.

Both garages my wife went to said that the front and read HAVE to be done, despite her explaining the situation. I was doubtful, I have a lot of contempt for garages, even more so when a lady presents somthing that needs attention, so I figured Id get a few opinions first.

Any places you would reccomend this? Im based in Clondalkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I can tell you where in your area not to get this done! The Advance place at JFK Ind Est (beside BMW Ireland) made a balls of a simple balancing of my B5 (yours is a B5, not a B6 btw). They didn't clean the muck off the inside of the wheels and the machine was folled and told them to put the weights on in the wrong place and or told them the wrong weights to use!! Idiots.

There used to be a place at Kylemore, beside Southside Motor Factors that did a 4 wheel alignment for me on a Golf years ago (laser alignment) and it was an incredible difference to a very average car. If they are still there I would recommend them.

I don't see why you'd need to adjust anything on the rear either, the rear suspension setup is pretty simple on the B5 (especially compared to the hideously complex front end which causes all sorts of problems). Sounds a bit sus to me that does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

there is no tracking adjustment on the rear of your passat so tell them to get stuffed. some cars have adjustable rear track but the only VW's that have it are quattros.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help guys, you prettymuch echoed what I was thinking. Ie the garages are talking through their rear-ends.

B5 it is, im always getting mixed up!

Crazy that two garages said the same thing, anyway third time's charm!

@ murphaph, you dont know where the plenum chambers are on this B5 by any chance? Google hasnt really turned up anythin specific and I think It might be an idea to clear em out.

The plenum chamber is the area under the bonnet below the windscreen that houses the wiper motor and linkage and also the intake for the heating/ventilation system. If for any reason you remove the pollen filter be sure that it is refitted correctly or your passenger side footwell will be full of water the next time it rains! I've seen this happen so many times.

crosstownk wrote:
    The plenum chamber is the area under the bonnet below the windscreen that houses the wiper motor and linkage and also the intake for the heating/ventilation system. If for any reason you remove the pollen filter be sure that it is refitted correctly or your passenger side footwell will be full of water the next time it rains! I've seen this happen so many times.

Thanks for that. So am I to just remove any accumulated crap from there. I think the pollen filter is due a change too :)

There are drain holes in the chamber that can sometimes get clogged with leaves and other crap. I had a 99 Passat estate here last year with the drains so badly blocked that the water got trapped and ended up leaking into the interior - it took over a week to dry the carpets.

Advertisement