Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

speed up downloads,bt

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Read up on using non-standard ports in your BT client, and then you'll be able to port forward that port range. Limit your upload speed to <=90% of your upload speed (so that you don't drown your connection and, therefore, download speed).

You don't need a fixed IP to port forward. You just need to know your PC's IP address, so you can tell your router to forward port X to that (internal) IP.

.cg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

foxy 65 wrote:
    i read here that you need a static ip to allow this but apparently with bt u can't do this.
    portforward.com recommends a static IP address on your LAN, not on your WAN. They even provide a page that explains how to set your LAN address to be static.

But frankly, if you've got a uPnP compliant router, just use µTorrent - it will set up the port forwarding automatically, and can be set to use a random port number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

i use UTorrent sometimes it can be slow but thats when theres a lack of seeds on the torrent, otherwise downloading goes between 100 - 300KB/s
    (got 300KB/s on a Debian torrent)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭g2e

it is easy enough to do.
    firstly use www.isohunt.com for best speeds
    they search every torrent site online so ya get greater seeds.

Use the static IP from your LAN
    START > RUN > CMD
    type ipconfig/all

then input into your TCP/IP settings

then just follow the instructions on portforward.com

I get 300kb speeds most the time before i was barely getting 20kb
    also limit your upload speed to 5kb

Advertisement