Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish Poets

Options
  • 03-06-2006 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25 bunty_singh

I'm planning on doing Yeats and Longley along with one of the English Poets.

Is it true that one of the Irish poets is BOUND to appear on the appear? Or should I study the two female poets as well as back up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

nope. every year an irish and female poet has come up so its likely the same will happen this year but my teacher says that some year they'll change it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

You can't say that it's bound to, but it always has. I'd suggest you do the 2 irish and 2 female, that way if the trends continue you'll have 2 choices, and it'll put you up to 5 in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bunty_singh

whassupp2 wrote:
    nope. every year an irish and female poet has come up so its likely the same will happen this year but my teacher says that some year they'll change it
    doing the two irish poets is enough as a guarantea as one of them will definitely come up?

Raphael wrote:
    You can't say that it's bound to, but it always has. I'd suggest you do the 2 irish and 2 female, that way if the trends continue you'll have 2 choices, and it'll put you up to 5 in total.
    hmm. Righteo. Thanks.

doing the two irish poets is enough as a guarantea as one of them will definitely come up?

it should be enough but its not gauranteed

• Advertisement

hmm. Righteo. Thanks.
    Nae tother ab all

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

Ah it is guaranteed. If it was changed, the Department would be hammered!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I'm studying Bishop, Longley and Hardy well, and Yeats as an extra. That's enough imo.

OctavarIan wrote:
    I'm studying Bishop, Longley and Hardy well, and Yeats as an extra. That's enough imo.

I'm doing the same except Hardys my extra. I dont thin kyeats will come up but hes my favourite out of thema all aqnd the easiest to study

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

i would just love the dept. to **** everyone over....

but anyway..

my "guess" is

Longley or Yeats (prob Longley)
    Eliot or Hardy (prob Hardy)
    Donne or Hopkins (do i care? no...)
    Plath or Bishop (Bishop i guess? i love both, so its all good)

• Advertisement

i mean that last post in that, i dont think they'd put up both Donne AND Hopkins... or both Plath AND Bishop..

i wasnt just "predicting" what 8 poets might come up in case youre worried... ;)

So, either one of the Irish Poets should come up and either one of the Female Poets should come up.

However, there is a possibility of changing it.

I'm doing Yeats, Longley, Hopkins. I thought this was enough because I assumed that one of the two Irish poets are bound to come up. However people have been telling me to do the female poets too just in case.

My only problem is, studying five poets is a bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Glazun

I'm fairly sure Yeats will appear, what with the whole 1916 rising aniversary..

Hardy isn't on again for years and he hasn't been on yet.. so he could be

Plath / Bishop could be on, but there's no guarantee that they will, of course, feminists will have a field day if they arent.

Longley could be on aswell..

Not sure about hopkins.. >_>; I find him an interesting poet, just hard to remember all the lines.

Personally I'd LOVE to see plath come up.. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

I'm studying Hopkins, Plath, Bishop and maybe Donne or Longley I don't know!
    I hate Donne but I want to use him as my backup if Hopkins doesn't come up, but eurgh I dunno!

And I know if I'm studying Longley that I should study Yeats as a backup but christ I hate Yeats aswell!

Here's hoping for the ladys this year!

i dont think the Easter 1916 thing comes into it at all regarding Yeats. maybe on the history exam...

we didnt even do that poem when we were studying Yeats.
    aah well

It wouldn;t really come up because of that, the onlt connection between Yeats and 1916 is "Easter 1916". He wasn't involved in it, and only a small part of his poetry on the course deals with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Sawa

Raphael wrote:
    It wouldn;t really come up because of that, the onlt connection between Yeats and 1916 is "Easter 1916". He wasn't involved in it, and only a small part of his poetry on the course deals with it.

Im going to do,
    Bishop
    Longley

(I semi- know those two)
    Plath
    Yeats

Eliot(really dont wanna even try and learn Prufrock!)

How are you to answer on Yeats really?! I like his poetry, but I wouldn't know WHERE to start on a question on him! What type of questions are there on Yeats?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

Bishop
    Plath
    Yeats
    Longley

Hoping a general question on Plath comes up, like in my pre!!!! Got a B1 in my answer and all, paper 1 brought me down!!! I'm saying prayers this all goes well!!!

Glazun wrote:
    Plath / Bishop could be on, but there's no guarantee that they will, of course, feminists will have a field day if they arent.

hahahahha!!!

deisedolly wrote:
    I'm studying Hopkins, Plath, Bishop and maybe Donne or Longley I don't know!
    I hate Donne but I want to use him as my backup if Hopkins doesn't come up, but eurgh I dunno!

And I know if I'm studying Longley that I should study Yeats as a backup but christ I hate Yeats aswell!

Here's hoping for the ladys this year!
    Yeats isn't that bad. Read his poem "The Second Coming" Fcuking scary stuff.

• Advertisement

Sawa wrote:
    Im going to do,
    Bishop
    Longley

(I semi- know those two)
    Plath
    Yeats

Eliot(really dont wanna even try and learn Prufrock!)

How are you to answer on Yeats really?! I like his poetry, but I wouldn't know WHERE to start on a question on him! What type of questions are there on Yeats?
    Personal response, the themes I like in his poetry are X, Y and Z

Se&#225 wrote: »
    is anyone learning the poems? i got an a2 in the mocks (well 89%..) and i didnt learn them off
    I'm not learning them. I'm understanding them. Well, understanding the ones that I feel a connection with and therefore, I can write well about the.

Besides, you just need quotes on the poems. Whatever is significant and stands out to you and means something to you - you quote it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Particle-Boy

Bishop
    Plath
    Yeats
    Longley

Hoping a general question on Plath comes up, like in my pre!!!! Got a B1 in my answer and all, paper 1 brought me down!!! I'm saying prayers this all goes well!!!

I'm doing exactly the same as you so.. *fingers crossed!!!*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭belinea06

i used to think yeats would come up with the 1916 but now i found that yeats is on again next year and he came up last year so i dont think he will. longley hasnt come up since 2002 and isnt on next year so i now think he is more likely to come up. donne and eliot are on next year aswell. do people think cause theyre on next year that they wont feature this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

I think Yeats will come up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭DonaldDuck

I'd love Donne to come up,but failing that I dont mind bishop much and I'll learn plath for the sake of women poets being a near gaurentee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Inglorious

I recommend studying Plath, Bishop, Hardy and Longley.
    It is 99% that either Plath or Bishop will come up.
    I dont think Hardy has ever come up, so he's quite likely.
    Its almost certain that either Longley or Yeats will come up, and since Yeats was up last year Longley is most likely this year.
    These four are all quite easy to write about also.

Hope that helped.

Inglorious wrote:
    I recommend studying Plath, Bishop, Hardy and Longley.
    It is 99% that either Plath or Bishop will come up.
    I dont think Hardy has ever come up, so he's quite likely.
    Its almost certain that either Longley or Yeats will come up, and since Yeats was up last year Longley is most likely this year.
    These four are all quite easy to write about also.

Hope that helped.
    Why is it almost certain that Longley or Yeats will come up?

Why isn't it 99% certain??

(people have been telling me it's not certain and I'm about to crack)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

My god....how can you feel safe just studying 4 or 5 poets? I studied 8 for my exam and still felt inadequate! :eek:

I remember hoping Hopkins would come up.....but he didn't :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Inglorious

Why is it almost certain that Longley or Yeats will come up?

Why isn't it 99% certain??

(people have been telling me it's not certain and I'm about to crack)
    An Irish poet has always come up. Yeats and Longley are the two Irish poets on our course.
    Its possible that they'll change the trend this year, but its highly unlikely.

Advertisement