Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it true that in pass you're passed if you only get 33%?

Options
  • 03-06-2006 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Does anyone know if this is true? I heard a while ago that if you only get 33%in a pass subject (particularly Maths and Irish) that they'll just give you a D3 as they don't want people failing.

Can anyone clarify? Thanks :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

38% is a pass in ordinary and higher in all subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭oRlyYaRly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

IMO, the 'passing a test' threshold should be raised maybe ten or fifteen percent, at least to 50%. The way it is at the moment is a bit stupid at 38 or 40%, Passing an exam despite knowing less than half the course! not exactly an incentive to work me thinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

oRlyYaRly wrote:

Ya 40% is the actuall pass grade but they give everyone with 38% up to a D3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

IMO, the 'passing a test' threshold should be raised maybe ten or fifteen percent, at least to 50%. The way it is at the moment is a bit stupid at 38 or 40%, Passing an exam despite knowing less than half the course! not exactly an incentive to work me thinks

agreed to an extent, but almost half your subjects are virtually compulsary (irish, eng maths). if you don't like them, you've got no choice but to do them so obviously you're going to do the bare minimum needed. 40% is right in irish, eng, maths. perhaps in the other 4+ it just be 50% all right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

smemon wrote:
    agreed to an extent, but almost half your subjects are virtually compulsary (irish, eng maths). if you don't like them, you've got no choice but to do them so obviously you're going to do the bare minimum needed. 40% is right in irish, eng, maths. perhaps in the other 4+ it just be 50% all right.
    first time I've ever agreed with you;)

Advertisement