Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Chemistry Questions

Options
  • 03-06-2006 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭

I'm in 3rd year and won't be doing T.Y so I've picked my subjects.

I would like to study vetinary medicine or medicine when I leave school.

The problem is, they need two science subjects. My school is only doing Biology and Physics next year... and they're on at the same time. :(

So I'm going to take Chemistry out of school.

Now, how exactly do I do this? Do I have to get grinds or can I just learn the freakin thing myself out of a book? Is there a practical element of the chemistry exam like the JC Science course and how exactly would I do this?

I've hear though, that Geog counts for a Science subject. True?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

Agricultural science counts if you do it in NUI Galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

You don't need 2 science subjects to do medicine AFAIK, but there's an advantage of a shorter course(a year shorter??) if you do.

Oh and just do Chemistry in the institute or get grinds or something, you'll still be able to sit the exam in your school and there's no practical part to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭oRlyYaRly

All I needed to know. Is a learn-it-out-of-the-book subject or a you-really-do-need-a-teacher subject?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

Med-wise, only Cork require two science, but Chemistry is a major advantage. Chemistry is a lot of learning basically. I liked the subject and I probably would have been OK with once-a-week grinds, but if you don't like it... well you're up **** creek. But yeah, it can be all learned off with a slight bit of help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 asho

i;m repaetin my leaving this year and have done chemistry both years. i think you need a good teacher unless u are exceptionally good at learning. If u get a good grinds teacher it will be fine but check out the college course requirements first to see if u really need it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

oRlyYaRly wrote:
    All I needed to know. Is a learn-it-out-of-the-book subject or a you-really-do-need-a-teacher subject?

you REALLY need a good teacher and it does help if you have one of the best chemistry teachers in ireland teaching you too:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭oRlyYaRly

Thanks for the help you lot! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭helles belles

if ur really serious about taking chemistry, then i suggest u get an individual grind and go to the institute too.
    but if u do take an extra subject up u have to factor in all the time that its going to take learning the book (as u are not doing this in school). and also the time taken from getting to one grind to another.
    i love chemistry, it is one of my favourite subjects, but it would require a hell of a lot of work if u were doing it on ur own.

Advertisement