Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What lit did you love (and hate) in English class?

Options
  • 03-06-2006 4:18pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So, when you were in school and had to do poetry, plays, short stories, novels, etc. which ones did you love and which ones did you hate?

Loved:

Wuthering Heights

Romeo & Juliet

Lord of the Flies

"The Listeners" - Walter dela Mare

"The Lady of Shallot" - Tennyson

Liked most of the poetry by John Donne and GM Hopkins too. I can still recite off Pied Beauty and The Windhover from memory and the line: "when thou hast done thou hast not done, for I have more," sticks in the mind too.

The story about how roast pork was discovered - where a Chinese guy (I think) burned down the house which contained the pigs and they discovered they actually tasted nice :)

Hated

Silas Marner
    Great Expectations
    King Lear
    Most of the Irish poets
    The Great Gatsby

Anybody else got favourites and least favourites?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

<3

Lord of the Flies
    WB Yeats
    Thomas Kinsella
    Juno & the Paycock

:/
    Silas Marner

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Over the years in school I really enjoyed Of Mice and Men, The Merchant of Venice, Macbeth, Hamlet, Remains of the Day and Antigone. The poetry of Siegfried Sassoon, Seamus Heaney, Michael Longley, Philip Larkin and Emily Dickinson also really got my motor running. On the other hand the book Reading in the Dark made me want to chew my own eyes out and the poetry of Evan Boland and Elizabeth Bishop was absolute pants. Pants I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Seems like a long time ago now, but course twas only 3 years for me!

Em... Enjoyed To Kill A Mockingbird, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Lord of the Flies, all the Shakespeare (I'm quite the fan), loved poetry of Sassoon, Yeats, Owen, Mahon, etc...

Hated Heaney, Boland, Plath (really really hated her), Emily Dickinson, The Great Gatsby (never even liked the film either).

There's probably more but I can't recall much else at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭YeAh!

Loved: Romeo + Juliet, Emily Dickinson's poetry, Strictly Ballroom

Hated: Wordsworth, Literary Genre of Comparative Study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

YeAh! wrote:
    Loved: Romeo + Juliet, Emily Dickinson's poetry, Strictly Ballroom
    Hated: Wordsworth, Literary Genre of Comparative Study.
    Strictly Ballroom?
    You jammy b*stards, we never got to do that one... Maw.:(

• Advertisement

We did Cinema Paradiso. I forgot all about the film part of the course. Cinema Paradiso was a wonderful film and one of very few movies I've seen that get better with each subsequent viewing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i think i did strictly ballroom and cinema paradiso, both good stuff, i liked the directors cut, toto getting it on with the hooker on the floor of the cinema :p

• Registered Users Posts: 33,390 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Despised - to the very pit of my stomach - (sorry OP) Wuthering Heights.

Liked King Lear, Lord of the flies, but didn't do it during secondary school (friend did it).

Hated - the fact that we did ONLY one novel (mentioned above) and ONE Shakespear play in two years. Instead of a variety of riches, the overkill killed off any interest I had in literature for about six years after I finished second level education and part of me is still very bitter about that.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

i think i did strictly ballroom and cinema paradiso, both good stuff, i liked the directors cut, toto getting it on with the hooker on the floor of the cinema :p

Director's cut? We only had the original cut. I didn't know there was a director's cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Loved - Shakespere, Animal Farm, Longley, Yeats, Heaney, Plath, Larkin

Hated - Dancing at Lughnasa, Playboy of the Western World, Dickenson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

Loved - Hamlet, Dickinson

Hated - Amongst Women, Strictly Ballroom (grrr...), Playboy of the Western World

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

Loved: Room With A View / Old Man And The Sea / Death of a Salesman

Hated: Silas Marner / Macbeth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

Loved Animal Farm , The Rhyme of The Ancient Mariner
    Hated Wuthering Heights

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Loved: The A1 at the end of it all :D, Macbeth, Romeo and Juliet, To Kill a Mockingbird, Playboy of the Western World, Of Mice and Men, 'A Disused Shed in County Wexford', Derek Mahon, Emily Dickinson, Sylvia Plath, Seamus Heaney.

Hated: Wuthering Heights.

Loved: The A1 at the end of it all :D

I could have had an A1 but I left paper 2 after 45 minutes so I had to make do with the A2 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 33,390 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Loved: The A1 at the end of it all :D, Macbeth, Romeo and Juliet, To Kill a Mockingbird, Playboy of the Western World, Of Mice and Men, 'A Disused Shed in County Wexford', Derek Mahon, Emily Dickinson, Sylvia Plath, Seamus Heaney.

Hated: Wuthering Heights.

[QUOTE=Angry Banana
    Loved: The A1 at the end of it all [/QUOTE]

Some people have waaay too much free time...! ;)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Loved most stuff, including Derek Mahon. I hate poetry as a rule, but I want his babies.

Hated: Amongst Women, The Plough and the Stars, Heaney, Wordsworth etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

John2 wrote:
    I could have had an A1 but I left paper 2 after 45 minutes so I had to make do with the A2 :p

Hee hee, I ended up with an A2 as well :D
    Not sure how, but I managed

I have remembered another hate: Yeats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

John2 wrote:
    the poetry of Evan Boland was absolute pants. Pants I say.

Soooooo god awful, it almost ruined my leaving cert experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Hopkins will always be my favourite, but I never had as much fun as I did watching Strictly Ballroom. What a great film. :) Also loved Antigone, Macbeth, Frost to name but a few.

I disliked having to study Plath, but I recognise her brilliance as a poet....If that makes sense. "The Grass is Singing" by Doris Lessing was one of the most tortuous periods in school I had. I despised it.

I didn't mind Heaney, but I could never seem to write good essays on his poetry. Ah well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Loved: Macbeth

Hated: Hard Times (For These Times) by Charles Dickens

"I have never been one to call a post a pump nor a post a pump."

Yeah, have you not? Well shut the f*ck up about it then.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Loved: The Great Gatsby, Death of a Salesman, Lord of the Flies, Huck Finn

Hated: Waiting for Godot, poetry in general...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭arctic lemur

I loved the Merchant of Venice and Silas Marner.

I disliked poetry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Loved: Plough and the Stars, Heaney, Plath, Bishop, Wuthering Heights, Romeo and Juliet, Strictly Ballroom (didn't study this for the LC but did it in 4th year)

Hated: A Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Man, Yeats, Cal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Loved: Hamlet, Death of a Salesman, Animal Farm
    Hated Hated Hated: Emma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

Would have loved to done Playboy in the leaving. Thats a great great play.

Loved doing My Left Foot, for the film.

Hated Death of a Salesman! Pure & Utter ****e, nothing else!

Did Hamlet too. Enjoyed that but did **** in that question on the exam.

Things Fall Apart was a decent enough novel though, enjoyed that a lot.

The Field, for JC was good too.

Anything but Death of a Salesman

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Loved:
    A Portrait of the Artist as a young man - Great read
    Julius Ceaser - I think I liked this because Brother Byrne, aka Chad :) , (my teacher) explained it all so well.

Hated
    Hamlet - My teacher didn't put in much of an effort and let us struggle through it :(
    Playboy of the Western World - Interesting story but just couldn't warm to it

Why was there no Oscar Wilde? Was it because young minds might be corrupted by a gay author? His stuff is hilarious and very well written.

r3nu4l wrote:
    Why was there no Oscar Wilde? Was it because young minds might be corrupted by a gay author?

Yes that's exactly why he's not put on the course and Shakespeare and Elizabeth Bishop were put on the course. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yes but Oscar Wilde was a gay Irishman :eek: so I could see the Church saying "Down with this sort of thing!", "Careful now". :D

So why do you think he's not on the course then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

I really enjoyed 'Macbeth', 'The Merchant of Venice', 'Machine Gunners', 'To Kill a Mockingbird' and 'Philadelphia Here I Come'.

Didn't really like anyof the poetry, probably because I just couldn't get my head around it at all, but I have since read and enjoyed a lot of Yeats poems.

Also didn't like 'Hard Times', and this wasn't helped by my teacher doing accents for the characters when she was reading excerpts. It was quite annoying.

I also think Oscar Wilde could be put on the syllabus, it's very enjoyable (and good) stuff.

Advertisement