Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What lit did you love (and hate) in English class?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

r3nu4l wrote:
    Yes but Oscar Wilde was a gay Irishman :eek: so I could see the Church saying "Down with this sort of thing!", "Careful now". :D

The church don't set the papers though, this isn't 1956. I don't know why he's on the course, you'd have to contact the department.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭MrJones

liked othello, merchant of venice, juno and the peacock. silas marner was ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭cinnamon

nollaig wrote:

Hated Death of a Salesman! Pure & Utter ****e, nothing else!

Death of a Salesman is a work of genius.
    I don't think you 'got' what the play was about. I absolutely love it - the symbolism, the characterisation, the attack on capitalism.
    I think you just need to peel back the layers and don't take it at face value

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

cinnamon wrote:
    Death of a Salesman is a work of genius.
    I don't think you 'got' what the play was about. I absolutely love it - the symbolism, the characterisation, the attack on capitalism.
    I think you just need to peel back the layers and don't take it at face value

Don't assume that because someone doesn't like a piece of art that they don't understand it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭cinnamon

John2 wrote:
    Don't assume that because someone doesn't like a piece of art that they don't understand it.

I am assuming by calling a book (in this case a play) "utter sh!te" means they didnt give it much time. It's fine to dislike a piece of art, but you can't write "utter sh!te" on an exam paper! I need more of an argument than that! :)

I was merely trying to enlighten the reader to the play's virtue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

How about 'total and utter sh!te'? :D

NAh, only kidding, liked Death of a Salesman myself but didn't do it in school so didn't mention it previously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

Well it was just last week so it shouldn't be too hard to remember!
    Loved: Lear, Plath, Eliot, Pride and Prejudice, Goodnight Mr Tom.
    Liked: The Field & Sive, Longley
    Hated: Yeats, Juno and the paycock, Big Maggie, The Country Girls, Of Mice and Men

I think there's way too much emphasis on having to do IRISH writers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

John2 wrote:
    Yes that's exactly why he's not put on the course and Shakespeare and Elizabeth Bishop were put on the course. :rolleyes:

Liked:
    • Juno and the Paycock
    • Of Mice and Men
    • The Field

Detested:
    • King Lear
    • How Many Miles to Babylon
    • Plath
    • Bishop
    • Longley
    • Yeats
    • Donne

You know I check the Leaving Cert Sylabus on and off and decide not to buy anything listed on it ever. They really took the joy out of reading in my school days. Not out of school long though. Actually not finished the LEaving until monday. That's in 3 days. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Loved
    Hamlet
    Dickenson (although my teacher didn't really do her poetry)
    Goodnight mr Tom

Hated
    Words cannot describe how much I hated Emma.
    I burned that book after I had finished school.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Loved

Hamlet(Shakespeare in general)
    Old Man and the Sea
    Animal Farm
    Lord of The Flies
    Playboy

Hated

Lord Jim

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭odhran

I loved Hamlet, The Merchant Of Venice, and the poetry of Eliot and Plath. I hated pretty much everything else: The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn, Amongst Women, Juno And The Paycock, Yeats, Boland, Wordsworth and (especially) Kavanagh. The A1 at the end of it all did make it all seem more bearable though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

is_that_so wrote:
    Loved

Old Man and the Sea
    Animal Farm
    Lord of The Flies
    Playboy

Hated

Lord Jim

Jesus! what a ****ing great set of books for course work! And that's presuming playboy was of the western world variety :eek:

I liked Great Expectations, Lord of the Flies and Death of a Salesman, hated King Lear which I thought was a pile of crap and has left me eternally put off shakespeare.

old man and the sea...was it made into a film,,the old man who catches the whale but the effort ends up killing him??
    is_that_so wrote:
    Loved

Old Man and the Sea
    Animal Farm
    Lord of The Flies
    Playboy

Hated

Lord Jim

great expectations is a great book. i read it myself in my spare time.
    theCzar wrote:
    Jesus! what a ****ing great set of books for course work! And that's presuming playboy was of the western world variety :eek:

I liked Great Expectations, Lord of the Flies and Death of a Salesman, hated King Lear which I thought was a pile of crap and has left me eternally put off shakespeare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

MrJones wrote:
    old man and the sea...was it made into a film,,the old man who catches the whale but the effort ends up killing him??

wanna lash spoiler tags around that spoiler?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

<3
    I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
    Cat's Eye
    Macbeth
    Sylvia Plath (pfffh! to all you haters!)
    Emily Dickinson
    On the Waterfront
    Derek Mahon

</3
    Amongst Women (moany, depressing, boring 1960s Catholic Ireland ****e)
    Seamus Heaney (yawn)
    PATRICK KAVANAGH (whingy, annoying, uninspired drivel from a dirty undersexed old pervert)

Oh, and speaking in more abstract terms, the single biggest irritation of mine was the tendency of some of my classmates to "learn essays" and notes off by heart, instead of actually engaging with the texts. I mean - why bother? They were just making a complete chore out of something which should have been (and was, for me) enjoyable.

I did better than them all anyway, so it all worked out well in the end. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

Loved
    Romeo&Juliet, Hamlet, To Kill a Mockingbird, Goodnight Mr. Tom, Philadelphia Here I Come, How Many Miles to Babylon?, Emma, The Remains of the Day, Dances With Wolves, Dickinson, Boland, Shakespeare's sonnets.

Hated
    The Grass is Singing, Elizabeth Bishop, Keats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

Loved:
    A Doll's House
    Great Expectations
    Pride and Prejudice
    To Kill A Mockingbird
    King Lear
    T.S. Eliot
    G.M. Hopkins

Hated:
    I can't remember really disliking anything. Maybe Longley. He bored me a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Loved:
    Hamlet
    Emma
    Lord of the flies
    The great gatsby
    Yeats
    Kavanagh
    Shelley
    Keats
    T.S. Eliot

Hated: