Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

linksys access point issue

• 03-06-2006 4:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭

have a linksys wireless access point (you know the little blue one with the 2 aerials on it). i set this up during the week, it was unsecured so i ran the cd to install the security. it gave me a 9 digit number for the wep key(or else i wrote down the wrong key), so when i enter this, it asks for 10. so i have the wrong key. now, when i try to run the cd again to change the web key or make it unsecured, at step 4, (where it creates a connection to the access point, i get an error

network card error, please check your network connection.

now there are 2 things here, either my card has stopped working or because the wep is now set up, you cannot access the router through the cd. it says on the instructions that if you hold the cisco light/button at the front of the access point for a few seconds, it will wipe off the settings and you will have to start all over again. i tried that, but it did not work. there is a red reset button at the back, but there is nothing about what this will do . basically, all i want is to be able to set up again ie.> get a new wep key. anybody used to these linksys access points and come accross this before?
    any help will be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Press the red button ala Dougal > it resets the router to the factory settings, WEP > you do know that WEP encription takes about 15 to 20 mins to break?

Also, store the key in a text file, consider mailing it to yourself too.

One last thing, use an ethernet cable when setting up the router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

you do know that WEP encription takes about 15 to 20 mins to break?.

Its still better than having no protection on at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Kristok wrote:
    Its still better than having no protection on at all.

Yes but nowhere near as good as having WPA-PSK!!!

Just alerting users to not be misled into believing that just coz they turned on wep they are covered. It gives some protection but not against the determined snoop.

Advertisement