Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eliminating part of the EQ band from a sample?

Options
  • 03-06-2006 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

I am pricking around with music at home here, and I have an idea for use with a guitar sample. Trouble is, I want just that guitar sample. There is a cymbal beat going with it. So, I want to eliminate it! What software is out there that I can use? I have Wavelab, but it doesn't quite make the cut for eliminaing the cymbal's EQ from the audio (only goes up to about 13000Hz).

TIA,

Seanie.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Does it have a low pass filter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Doctor J wrote:
    Does it have a low pass filter?

You know what? I don't know Doctor J!! Can you exlain a little further?

(I did a search of its Help topics, but there was no mention of and band pass filter).

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

If the highest frequency you can manipulate is 13k there might be a way for you to change the type of EQ being applied. A low pass filter would cut any frequency above the level you set.

On some EQs it'll have an icon like this lp.gif or the shape in this graph
    350px-Butterworth_response.png

I don't know wavelab so I can't say for sure if it has it or not but it's a fairly standard feature of computer based EQs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

doubt you'll be able to cut out the cymbal using filtering. Guitars and cymbals wouldn't be a million miles away from each other spectrum-wise.

Unless it's a really thin sounding, dog-whistle type cymbal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Get a new sample is my advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Hi Seanie,
    Even without hearing the sample I can pretty much guess that you're going to have a hard time getting what you decribe. As doctorJ said, the low pass filter is a possibility but depending on the gear you're using you might not be able to change the elbow point at the which the low pass filter kicks in. If your guitar part is in a high register (like a lot of lead guitar is) you're going to have an even harder time as the higher up you go the nearer you get to the cymbals frequencies.

If the cymbal is a splash cymbal it's a little easier but if it's a low ride cymbal played on the bell (the hump in the centre) it's particularly tough. Cymbals can cover some pretty massive ground in the frequency spectrum. Little buggers.

I'd suggest looking at changing the sampling rate and/or really working on the EQ. You could possibly also try a side chain compression set up like an old fashioned ds'er.
    Sampling rate: When you lower the sample rate you also lower the frequency range with the high frequencies the first to be audibly affected. Which is where alot of your cymabls overtones will be (and there'll be a lot of them!). This will make your guitar piece sound scratchy but may imporove things a bit for you. that scratchy sound can be pretty cool too.
    EQ: You'll need a fully parametric EQ or else a grapic EQ plug in where you can change the bandwith. Push up the Q and gain and sweep through the eq range until you find the frequency where the stick stricks the metal and gain it down with a narrow Q. Not perfect at all but may help.
    Sidechain compression set up: This is where instead of compressing a signal based on its amplitude (volume) the compression only kicks in when a pre-designated frequency goes beyond the threshold. You could set it as with the EQ above. Again, it's not perfect but it might do something. One small saving grace may if the cymbal strikes on down beats and is only playing 8th notes as this will make disgusing the "sucks" in the sound from the above methods a little easier. Either way, good luck with it and experiment as you'll learn loads.

Thanks guys. FYI: the sample I want to workwith is the second bar of the guitar intro to Smoke on the Water by Deep Purple... so you know what I mean!

Seanie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Another potential solution might be to look elsewhere in the tune for the same guitar chord/note/phrase. How long is the sample you want to use, is it the whole bar or just one beat or what? Can't remember Smoke on the Water off by heart or anything but I bet its pretty repetitive

Its the only time it is 'clean' is at the beginning corn!

I have attached a .wma (80kbps, 44.1kHz) in a zip file for you to hear the sample I am on about (its only 80kB).

Seanie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

You might be able to get a guitarist to play it for you and record it... no, scratch that, every guitarist in the world could play that riff for you :) I know you probably want to keep the tone and stuff but you could try using software like amplitube to model a nice tone. Trying to take out the cymbal noise using any means will destroy the guitar sound anyway

• Advertisement
Advertisement