Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John O'Mahony to run for FG in election

Options
  • 03-06-2006 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

came as a surprise to me. Thoughts.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭SeanW

Whoa, slow down. Who's John O'Mahony?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Good move for FG aiming for three of the five seats in Mayo. From what I gather Michael Ring is also a thorn in Kenny's side so if O'Mahoney is elected at Ring's expense no sleep will be lost. I reckon if O'Mahoney had acheived an all-ireland title for Mayo he would breeze in, should run in Galway instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

SeanW wrote:
    Whoa, slow down. Who's John O'Mahony?

Former football manager of Galway. won them an ALL-Ireland. Roscommon man (yes ballaghadereen is in Ros) He is an analyst sometimes noe on Sunday Game on RTé

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Diorraing

With Sean Kelly possibly running in South Kerry, it looks like Fine Gael are trying to pull a Jack Lynch or two. Didn't SF try to get a certain Ó hAilpín to stand for them as well. Looks like polititians are seeing the way the popularity of GAA players can be manipulated.
    Oh yeah, if Ballaghdreen is in the Ros, why do they play their GAA in Mayo?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Diorraing wrote:
    With Sean Kelly possibly running in South Kerry, it looks like Fine Gael are trying to pull a Jack Lynch or two. Didn't SF try to get a certain Ó hAilpín to stand for them as well. Looks like polititians are seeing the way the popularity of GAA players can be manipulated.

I think a few parties approached Mr. Ó hAilpín and he turned them all down! He said in a recent interview that he has no interest in getting involved in politics!

In Wexford Tony Dempsey (the former county hurling manager) was voted in in the last elections, at the expense of of Hugh Byrne, as Fianna Fail attempted to get 3 seats!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

Diorraing wrote:

Some old GAA rule. its on Ros side of border, but i think most of the parish is in mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Johnno used to teach me.

Nuff said :o

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭AdrianR

Because due to the Local Government (Ireland) Act of 1898 about 40 townlands around Ballaghadreen were trannsferred from Mayo to Ros (Also some from Galway to Ros) this is why people from Ballaghadreen claim to be from Mayo:

http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/transferred_towns.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

AdrianR wrote:
    Because due to the Local Government (Ireland) Act of 1898 about 40 townlands around Ballaghadreen were trannsferred from Mayo to Ros (Also some from Galway to Ros) this is why people from Ballaghadreen claim to be from Mayo:

http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/transferred_towns.html

Forcibly changed may I add.

It's good craic in Ballagh when Mayo and Rocsommon meet up in the GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭AdrianR

Forcibly changed may I add.

Yes, I assumed that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement