Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Automatic gearbox question

Options
  • 03-06-2006 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭

Hi,I have an automatic vw golf,mark 4.for some reason the speedo goes crazy(bounces between 0mph and forty with no relation to acceleration or speed) when i put it in reverse,anyone got any idea why?The reverse lights dont work either,the bulbs are fine as is the fuse!
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

sounds like an earthing problem

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Could be a fault with the road speed sensor in the gearbox or possible something amiss with the instrument cluster - I've seen both give this sort of trouble. Best thing is to get a diagnostic check done. The speed sensor and the instrument cluster can be checked via diagnostic computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Possibly some kind of switch not making contact? If there is such a switch, its function might be (i) turn on reversing lights, and (ii) disable speedo. Try lifting the gearshift boot and having a look.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement