Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Polo radio change

Options
  • 03-06-2006 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Hey everyone,

New to the new motor board having just got my first car last week, a 98 polo 1L! All it has in it at the moment is a Blaupunkt milano radio, basic setup with just a tape deck. My brother in law just gave me a sony cdx-mp30 he had lying around to put in if i wish. What i want to know is how do i get the old one out, I've searched on the net and it appears i need some sort of a clip thingy to get it out. I poped into a an auto-elec place today and the guy said he'd fit it for me for 30euro. This seems a bit steep considering it is just a pull out the old one and swap like for like at the back, or am I missing something?
    Anyone know of a cheeper way around getting this done-I'm pretty broke having spent money on car and insurance etc.

Thanks,

HK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

as far as I remember, the Milano has two sets of two holes at either side of the unit, you can get a removal tool from Halfords, or you can do what everyone else does:

PC5-83.jpg
    Cut up a wire clothes hanger into two U shapes, slot both ends into the holes on the stereo and wiggle the unit around, and work it outwards.

You may also need to change the cage
    AUTOLEADS-PC5-112_tw150_th150.jpg (this)

to the one that came with the Sony unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭the_viper2kie

colm_mcm wrote:
    as far as I remember, the Milano has two sets of two holes at either side of the unit, you can get a removal tool from Halfords, or you can do what everyone else does:

PC5-83.jpg
    Cut up a wire clothes hanger into two U shapes, slot both ends into the holes on the stereo and wiggle the unit around, and work it outwards.

You may also need to change the cage
    AUTOLEADS-PC5-112_tw150_th150.jpg (this)

to the one that came with the Sony unit.
    That sounds interesting, so if i just cut a coat hanger into a u shape i should be able to wriggle its way out, do i need to make any sort of indentation at the end of the hanger? For the new sony, i think i have the cage as you call it as the stereo came from an old polo and seems to be the exact same size anyway.

HK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I dropped into the place that handles Annesley Motors electrical stuff across the street from them and the dude took my stereo out for nothing. Everything else I did myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That sounds interesting, so if i just cut a coat hanger into a u shape i should be able to wriggle its way out, do i need to make any sort of indentation at the end of the hanger? For the new sony, i think i have the cage as you call it as the stereo came from an old polo and seems to be the exact same size anyway.

HK

the indentations mean you can pull the stereo out by pulling the clips, they lock into clips inside the stereo, they're not completely necessary if you move the stereo from side to side it'll come out anyway

The cage will be the same size no matter what radio you're using, but the sony stereo won't clip into the blaupunkt cage as the cut out patterns that the stereo locks into on the side will be different

Advertisement