Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's one I made earlier

Options
  • 03-06-2006 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭

With college out of the way I've decided to finally start putting together some games since I've always been interested in game design but just never had the time.

Anyway, here's a quick java applet I made, thought I'd see what people thought of it:

Space Escape

Controls are W,S,A and D, premise is simple, avoid the Green Spaceships while using the asteroids to your advantage. At the end you're told how long you survived, hopefully I'll implement a proper scoreboard but just thought I'd see what people think of it.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

steviec wrote:
    With college out of the way I've decided to finally start putting together some games since I've always been interested in game design but just never had the time.

Anyway, here's a quick java applet I made, thought I'd see what people thought of it:

Space Escape

Controls are W,S,A and D,

I'd prefer it if the above just moved it in the appropriate direction. as in no turning just move - similar to an FPS - a and d move the object left and right - not turn it.

Otherwise though - i'm impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Thats pretty cool!!

Maybe if you changed the shape of the "ship" as it is hard to know which direction you are facing sometimes.....

Or maybe you intended it!

Anyhoo great job:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Thanks for the feedback, I think you have a good point about the ship, I may look into changing the graphic for it.

As for controls, I'm going to experiment with that but I have a feeling it'd be too easy if you don't have to turn.

Edit: I've stuck an arrow on top of the ship, that'll do the trick for now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Much better, I lasted longer than 9 seconds with the arrow anyway :D

I'd prefer it if the above just moved it in the appropriate direction. as in no turning just move - similar to an FPS - a and d move the object left and right - not turn it.

Version 2

I'm leaving the old one up aswell because I'm not sure which control method I prefer, the second one is certainly more controllable but on the other hand that maybe makes it too easy, I'm not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

about 8 seconds on v1, 34 on v2 ;)

Ok maybe V2 is the way to go then :)

My own records are 50 on V1 and 1:43 on V2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I think v2 might be a bit too easy though, if you stuck in variable speed for the players ship, it might be better.

yep I think that the 2nd version is a tad to easy to control.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's not exactly shadow of the colossus now is it?

Seriously quite impressive. I'm crap at both versions but the second plays a lot better.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the feedback :)

Seems everyone is split on the controls, I preferred V1 at first but I think I prefer V2 now. I guess that's what options menus are for!

I need to learn PHP so I can add a high score table, I'm told it's not too difficult and I'll be able to get some help so shouldn't take too long to get it complete. Then onto another project, I'm hoping to put together a little website with maybe a dozen games or so over the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Retr0gamer wrote:
    It's not exactly shadow of the colossus now is it?

No, it's far better :rolleyes:

v2 is more fun, but a good bit easier, keep it up, I love cool mini games

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

V2 is alot easier but it makes it alot more enjoyable for me. I love those little blocker balls, great job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Fibbers Games

Actually quite addictive! I like the fact you can bounce those asteroids for protection.

Right here is the new version complete with a high score table, along with the dodgiest name input interface ever...

A little bit of polishing(particularly with the 'menu' screen') and bug fixing to do but I think that's pretty close to final.

(the link is the same as the first post, I've overwritten version 1 and 'upgraded V2 to the main version)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

people seem to like v2 but enjoy v1's hardness, so why not (now that you have a score counter) level up to the v1 version of the game when you reach a certain score? make it challenging... then maybe the next level up is to remove those space rock things

just a suggestion ;)

Ok given the ridiculously high scores that have popped up overnight after I mentioned the game on Eurogamer forums last night, I think I need the difficulty to increase as it goes along.

I'd rather keep it continuous than have levels though, maybe make the computer ships get faster as you play or something along those lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Fibbers Games

I know what your saying about the changing difficulty levels. I would have prefared a Tetris that stayed at the same speed and the only thing that would slow you down was mental fatigue. Now thats hardcore... um.. yeah...harcore.. now theres a word that just ruines sentences.

Ok final update, I've increased the difficulty quite a lot by speeding up the AIs and assigning them slightly different patterns. Also the game gets faster as you go along so that's something else to make life difficult, hopefully there'll be a few less ridiculously high scores on the board now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

...I hate the little guy...

• Advertisement

&#231 wrote: »
    ...I hate the little guy...
    Trust me , you are mot the only one:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

that little dude haunts my dreams

Ok just a suggestion but its a big one, make the asteroids destructable i.e. the big ones break into smaller portions, finally the smaller portions break up (when you drive into them) to be replaced by one big one. And when you hit them they slow you down a bit as well as slowing the the enemy ships

Vegeta wrote:
    that little dude haunts my dreams

Ok just a suggestion but its a big one, make the asteroids destructable i.e. the big ones break into smaller portions, finally the smaller portions break up (when you drive into them) to be replaced by one big one. And when you hit them they slow you down a bit as well as slowing the the enemy ships

I experimented with having the asteroids slow you down but it didn't feel right when playing. As for the asteroids breaking up.. that'd take a bit of reworking but it is on my list of ideas for the sequel :)

As it is now the current game is finished. Well, except maybe for a profanity filter from looking at the scoreboard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Good job man, impressive stuff for a first attempt. Finally, after pulling out the Geometry Wars muscles I got on the leader board :p.

Are you in CA in DCU? If so, which year?

Good job man, impressive stuff for a first attempt. Finally, after pulling out the Geometry Wars muscles I got on the leader board :p.

Are you in CA in DCU? If so, which year?

Yea, well just finished fourth year. The game actually borrows the physics from stuff I did in my fourth year project(far less interesting stuff), it was trying to think how I could implement some of the things I'd done into something playable that I came up with the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Hey that is really great :) Physics and collision seem perfect and the game is addictive and fun. Nice work.

I am first year CA and I'm working on some stuff at the moment, my main problem is I don't know too much maths and physics but I can't wait to learn.

I look forward to playing your future games.

Steviec,what software are you using as I would like to try my hand at making some games?
    I am a comlete n00b so if there is any easier software available(free)trail version even, then please let me know.

im...LOST wrote:
    Steviec,what software are you using as I would like to try my hand at making some games?
    I am a comlete n00b so if there is any easier software available(free)trail version even, then please let me know.

Language is java, my editor of choice is Eclipse, and graphics were done in Paintshop Pro.

Java is free and Eclipse is free, and graphics can be done in MSPaint if you want they're not all that important, mine are pretty rubbish.

If you've never programmed before jumping straight into java might prove difficult. I found this site very useful for learning how to make graphical things when starting out with applets so you might find it useful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭protos

fair play ................... very impressive.
    I don't suppose you'd like to release the source code ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

steviec wrote:
    I experimented with having the asteroids slow you down but it didn't feel right when playing. As for the asteroids breaking up.. that'd take a bit of reworking but it is on my list of ideas for the sequel :)

Nice one mate, thoroughly enjoy it, let us know when you're next creation is up and we can help as game designers :D

personally i think it should be a flying sperm like Stewie flies in Family guy but done like R-Type or battlefield 1942 or what ever it was called. That would be class obviously the goal is to shoot the evil sperm and fertilise the egg yourself not before having to fight the evil birth control final boss

Then again i'm a sicko

Advertisement