Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hope

• 03-06-2006 8:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Is there any hope of finding someone when your older ??

Im 26, feel like ive been single for too long. Most friends are attached. I know i shouldnt worry too much but i do feel i wont meet anyone anytime soon ?!

Anyone else think like this ?

Comments

Hope24 wrote:

Im 26, feel like ive been single for too long. Most friends are attached. I know i shouldnt worry too much but i do feel i wont meet anyone anytime soon ?!

Have you considered seeking classified ads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

you could try internet dating? Lots of people are using it and yes it is possible to meet people using it. I'm 30 and haven't given up hope yet, even though there are times when I do wonder, so you're not alone in thinking like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Rantorama

Hope24 wrote:

Im 26, feel like ive been single for too long. Most friends are attached.
    So what?

Some people will have a long term relationship and never get married,some will find the love of their life and marry,and some people will marry the first human that comes along.

But please keep in mind you are ONLY 26

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gutted

You think you've got problems? I'm 33 and have little or no chance at this stage. My own fault tho:I didn't think ahead when I was younger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

26? You're only a quarter of the way through your life! There's hope for anyone and everyone.

Perhaps ask friends/work colleagues to set you up with someone?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Like what's life expectancy for your generation? Males 71 and females 76? You have plenty of time. Sounds like you need to get out some, maybe not the bar (or pub) scene, but other places? Join a social group or club of some sort? If you like nature, join a group that hikes. If you are religious, join a religious group. If into sports, get into a fan club. Meeting people in these settings seems easier, and not such a put-on as in a bar (or pub). Join a group that reflects your interests, and you just might find someone who likes to do what you like to do? Just an idea. I am sure there will be other good networking/hooking up ideas on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,518 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Like what's life expectancy for your generation? Males 71 and females 76? ...

CIA website a bit behind the times there? Like why do you have to start your posts with 'like', like? If the object is to be grating, it may work. Otherwise your post is just going to be, like, dismissed.

OP: 26 may feel old now. In reality, it is not. Don't despair, someone is out there. When you stop looking, you will find them.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ST*

Hope24 wrote:

You are only 26 as a few others have said. You are just in a bit of a rut at the moment. Why don't you do something to perk yourself up a bit? Be it a new hair-do, new clothes.. whatever makes you feel good and confident about yourself. Because somewhere along the way you've lost your positive attitude. You need to remind yourself that you have a lot to offer someone.

Perk up, make yourself available, take up new interests to meet new people. Sitting about wondering if you are going to be left on the shelf isn't going to get you anywhere.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hope24 wrote:
    Is there any hope of finding someone when your older ?? Im 26
    Emm are you mad, your only 26!

Although meeting that special someone whilst in your 20's can be V hard in "Post Celtic Tiger" Ireland, most ppl seem to be too busy with there careers or travelling the world while in there 20's!

In the 2000's i reckon a lot of people will hold off settling down until in there 30's, as by that stage the career, and the house are all in place.

So theres still plenty of hope, the average age of men and women settling down with partners is late 20's/ early 30's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭DAEDULUS

have you considered the fact that the internet is flooded with websites dedicated to getting better at socializing and getting better with the opposite sex......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Hope24.

Im 28, 29 this year. Havent had a GF in well over 3 maybe 4 years and whats more I have no real intention of finding one any time soon. Ive friends getting married left right and centre..

Am I bothered. NO

Im 28 not 58 mind you I probable wouldn't be bothered then either Im quite sure I could find some hot 53 year old to get the blood flowing again..Rarrrr!

Ive lots of friends to spend time with should I wish, plenty of people to call if I ever get bummed out, controary(sp?) to popular belief you dont need / have to have a GF.

Dont get me wrong if I happened to meet some hot lady at the weekend I'd definatly give it a go but if I dont so what.

You should embrace this time you have with no GF too all the things you want to do take a little "Me" time and if you get bored of me time why not use all of your friends GF to find you a lady.

Basically your grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I have to say what is the story with people today?

26 is not too old, but it can be easy for the OP to think that it is in today's society.

I'm 23 and one of my friends was seeing a girl for about 9 months and they decided to get engaged (and no, it wasn't a shotgun wedding!).

My brother told me about two people that have just finished 1st year in college and have just gotten engaged.

That's completely fcuking crazy imo. What's wrong with having a laugh when you're young (23, 26 etc.) and settling down in your late 20's, early 30's?

Some friends and I are going on a mad 2 week holiday to Majorca, where anything can, and will happen. Can't see me trying that if I had a missus tagging on! :D

So OP, maybe you're doing the right thing and everyone else is nuts :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

i'm 26 and a single mother...so your situation could be worse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ST*

Femmy wrote:
    i'm 26 and a single mother...so your situation could be worse!

You wouldn't change that for the world though Fems. Your little girl is a beautiful, happy and healthy little one. I'm nearly 27, two small boys, who are smart, happy and healthy. And that makes me happy. I'm in no hurry down any aisle- in fact, I'm not so sure it is something I ever want to do.

Most women these days are happy enough to embrace their youth, enjoy themselves while they can - and then go on to settle down.

I think Femmy is trying to say that you also have your freedom OP. It is definitely something that is taken for granted when you are single.

Hope 24, I feel your pain. I'm 28 haven't been in a relationship for 4 years and feel the same way. Saying that, it's been my choice. I just haven't met the right person ...or more to the point, met 1 person who I taught was right, but alas she didn't feel the same way.

I've gotten to the stage where I've pretty much resigned to the fact that I'm going to be single for a long time; it's beyond my control and it's not a nice feeling.

Not much help here - but know you are not alone ...well, you are, but there's more like you ;) (joke there)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

Anyone else think like this ??

I have just had a conversation with a friend of mine who is feeling the same as you are. She is 29 and feels like she'll never find someone. All of her friends are paired off (me included) and she's feeling so alone!
    It's all very well being told to get out there and meet someone but to be honest I think there is a serious lack of available men in the country, in this city at least. This same friend of mine signed up for speed dating with some of the girls she works with and it was cancelled because 62 women signed up and only 10 guys did!
    Most of the men out there now are like Static M.e. - they are not bothered with finding a girlfriend, why would they be when they go out every weekend and go home with someone, have a shag and never see them again if they don't want to!
    I'm not saying that every man is like this, but it sure seems to be a trend. And not everyone wants to meet someone in a structured way like speed dating or internet dating or whatever.... I know that I for one would much prefer meeting someone through friends or at a party or through a shared interest or something.
    I think with that in mind you might think about joining a club or starting a course or something... something that your interested in and that's fun... you'll be getting the benefit or whatever it is and also you might meet someone with similar interests that just happens to be hunk!:)

I did acting for beginners in the gaiety a few years ago, it was the most fun I'd had for ages and I met some really cool people. Two of the people from that course got it together and are still together now... that was about 3 years ago.....
    So acting for beginners might not be for you... but there might something your into. What about an art course in NCAD or Salsa dancing...... anything.

It's all very well being told to get out there and meet someone but to be honest I think there is a serious lack of available men in the country, in this city at least. This same friend of mine signed up for speed dating with some of the girls she works with and it was cancelled because 62 women signed up and only 10 guys did!
    Well I dunno about that. I know plenty of single men. The problem is there is more bravado with guys so they don't tend to go to speed dating and such. I would certainly never suggest to my mate to go to speed dating, and I'm not prepared to go on my own. It's a catch 22.
    Most of the men out there now are like Static M.e. - they are not bothered with finding a girlfriend, why would they be when they go out every weekend and go home with someone, have a shag and never see them again if they don't want to!
    Thats utter bullsh*t. Thats tantamount to me saying most single women left are possive, ugly, tramps with serious issues. I'd much rather wake up beside a loved one than a randomer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

It's not as easy as just joining a club or occupying your time with something else. But I can sure as hell tell you that moping around feeling sorry for yourself isn't going to lead you into a nice happy relationship.

Get off your backside and just go do whatever makes you happy. Forget about whether or not you're in a relationship - Just learn to get along nicely on your own without worrying about what your future holds. From that you'll exude natural self-confidence and happiness and believe me, that's more valuable than almost anything else when it comes to attracting the good guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Sorry OP.
    Whats all this me bashing!!

Im more this
    Hope 24, I feel your pain. I'm 28 haven't been in a relationship for 4 years and feel the same way. Saying that, it's been my choice. I just haven't met the right person ...or more to the point, met 1 person who I taught was right, but alas she didn't feel the same way.

Than
    not bothered with finding a girlfriend, why would they be when they go out every weekend and go home with someone, have a shag and never see them again if they don't want to!

I just try and look at the upside to everything and I think he should too. I think Gil_Dub said it perfectly Forget about whether or not you're in a relationship - Just learn to get along nicely on your own without worrying about what your future holds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭DubNside

It's all very well being told to get out there and meet someone but to be honest I think there is a serious lack of available men in the country, in this city at least

I nearly fell off my chair when i read this! :eek:

Emm...Which city is this she/you lives in? Perhaps on the moon? :p

Guys would of course say the opposite, that there is a lack of decent single women about the place, but its just a matter of being properly introduced.

I dont know if anyone has postive expieriences of dating sites? You know the ones i mean.

As for taking classes etc, it takes a lot of courage for someone to go there alone, and would it not be the case that the people there actually go to learn how to dance/act etc and not to "pick up"?

Maybe im wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

My mum didn't get married til her mid-thirties. My sister met her husband just before her thirtieth birthday. There's still lots of time for you to meet someone.

You're better off focusing on the positives in your life atm, than what you don't have. Think of it this way: it's preferable to have a good relationship with yourself than a bad relationship with somebody else. And if you're putting your time and energy into a relationship that's only partially stisfying you, how will you have the oppurtunity to meet somebody who's right for you in every way?

If it's meant to be, it'll happen. That's my view. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Cinamon Girl

It doesn't matter whether you are 26 or 62. If you are on your own you will be like most people and feel lonely. We don't think in terms of how old or young we are just that we want to be with someone.

The thing is to do something about it. Don't just think about it. Get out there and try to meet people and maybe when you are least expecting it you will meet someone. They may not be the one, but it will occupy you for a while until you figure out if they are right for you or not.

It is so hard being on your own, I know. All you want at times is for someone to put their arms around you, just physical human contact and another person to ask you how your day was.

You have to figure out a way to take your mind off the lonliness and joing boards did it for me!!:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

At 26, there is still plenty of time to meet somebody.

Having said that I do know how you feel. I'm 29 and never been in a serious relationship and do start to wonder if it will ever happen.

However, the sad fact of the matter is that some people never do find somebody to share their lives with. I'm not saying that you (or I) will be one of those people, but those people do still exist.

I try not to be the Bridget Jones type who's life is not complete unless she is with somebody. I am complete and if I meet somebody that will just be the icing on the cake, but I've still had the cake itself all along, ya know what I mean?

I'm not saying it's easy to do that. Sometimes I get down on being alone when I have hardly any single friends. But I try to look at the positve as much as I can.

Hopefully you can take a good look at your life and decide that life is good with or without a man. Good luck.

Advertisement