Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MK4 Golf GTI, opinions?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

nothing actually

strangely enough hibernian charge the same ins on the 125bhp/150bhp T and 180bhp t 1.820v engines

they asked me to send a bhp print out at renewal time

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Are you sure the GTi didn't come in a 2.0 litre normally aspirated version?

Anyhow:
    mloc123 wrote:
    I presume they are reliable etc. being a VW, any problems to look out for when buying them?

VW reliability is a bit of a myth (certainly in the Golf anyway) - they are by no means as reliable as people seem to think. You probably won't have any major problems, but there will be a few annoying little issues that may crop up - like changing rear bulbs every month or so, dirty throttle cable etc.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It also seems (from various posts here) that servicing is rather pricey on them too.

I like Golfs btw. Particularly the newest GTI's.

i normally try and find a good independent thats well recommended by a number of people, for the golf im using a garage called JOMO in westmeath, when i had my alfa i used ti autos in dublin

but then i dont buy new cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

eoin_s wrote:
    Are you sure the GTi didn't come in a 2.0 litre normally aspirated version?

Anyhow:

VW reliability is a bit of a myth (certainly in the Golf anyway) - they are by no means as reliable as people seem to think. You probably won't have any major problems, but there will be a few annoying little issues that may crop up - like changing rear bulbs every month or so, dirty throttle cable etc.

The Golf did come in a 2.0 na too, I think its mentioned above. 115Bhp, which is lower than the 1.8 20v non turbos :confused: VW really need to start tuning their engines a bit better.

• Advertisement

Britton Insurance just sent me this:

"We thank you for your submission for a Car Insurance Quotation and after reviewing your details manually we are now able to offer you the following quotation:2552.31 Euro based on this months rates. Terms and Conditions Apply"

Not too bad, the Gti might still be an option :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

mloc123 wrote:
    Might be pointless now as it seems quinn will not quote me on one.

Looking at something powered my the 1.8 20v VAG engine now, Passat/Toledo/Leon

They put out 125Bhp, with no turbo lag I'd say they should be well enough matched with the Gti(Not as fast but not too far off).

Im driving a 1.8 20v Toledo and its very quick and handles well too :cool:

Standard non turbo toledo? They seem nice, can get insured on it for €1200 too....still I'd like the turbo too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Cyrus wrote:
    you should know by know most dealers dont know diddly squat, the 150 and 180 engine is the same engine in a different state of tune, thats the reason a 400 euro remap gets my 150bhp engine to 200bhp+ :)

The 180bhp 20v actually has a K03s turbocharger. The 150bhp have the low preasure K03 turbo. So there is in fact mechanical differances between the two engines. Diddly what? :p .

An observation would be to read up a bit on the mechanics before getting a remap done. At least that way you will have an idea whats going on under the bonnet to achive these performace increases.

One bit of advice after getting the job done on the K03 based engine (or any engine) is to leave the car running for at least two minutes after driving to allow the oil to continue circulating while the turbo cools.

The performace improvment between the n/a 20v and even the 150bhp turbo has to be experianced. Its the torque that makes the differance.

you would be right mr vevex if i didnt have the aum engine (fitted to all 1.8t from late 2000 on)

therefore i have the KO3s turbo so it was diddly squat i referred to ;)

and of course i read up on the mechanics :D

Thanks for the input tho, thats why the gains on the aum engines after a remap are about 10-15bhp better than the older ko3 engines

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

FX Meister wrote:
    Going by what a dealer told me and figures on the gti and the gt red i from the VW site.

I doubt it.
    FX Meister wrote:
    Maybe you should learn to read though.

Maybe you should learn about your cars before quoting rubbish as gospel! And you did - before you edited it.
    FX Meister wrote:
    There is a lot more of the 150bhp ones on the market than the 180bhp. FACT

Woooooooo... you got something right.. are ya chuffed?!!

Anyway, to drag this a bit back on topic...

I'm looking at 99/00 GTIs with 60-80k on them, what problems should I look out for on them? The engines are goo for 150k I presume but how do the turbos hold up? I presume they run on quite low boost so the strain shouldn't be too hard on them.

Whas the re-sell value like on them? In 2 years will I get to trade it/sell it will I get 5k with 80-100k on it? (Impossible to say for sure but does anyone know the trade in on a 98 golf now with 100k?)

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

mloc123 wrote:
    Anyway, to drag this a bit back on topic...

I'm looking at 99/00 GTIs with 60-80k on them, what problems should I look out for on them? The engines are goo for 150k I presume but how do the turbos hold up? I presume they run on quite low boost so the strain shouldn't be too hard on them.

Whas the re-sell value like on them? In 2 years will I get to trade it/sell it will I get 5k with 80-100k on it? (Impossible to say for sure but does anyone know the trade in on a 98 golf now with 100k?)

1 of the 1st things I'd check for is service history and then timing belt to see if has been changed.

Next thing would be the ass grove, whethere there is any malleabilty in the drivers seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

I reckon you might be lucky to get 5k for it in 2 years yeh.

Turbos lasting into 150k plus is something which is not guaranteed though.

Coil packs and window regulators have all been mentioned earlier in the thread.

Advertisement