Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreamcast

Options
  • 03-06-2006 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭

So Iv'e just picked one up on ebay pretty cheap with 2 pads, all cables, 6 games, etc.. :) I was wondering about the whole piracy thing, now I know in Ireland the pirating of copyrighted material, such as video games is illegal. But what I'm trying to figure out is the whole deal with sega. Would I be right in thinking, no long after they finished production, sega released the required software to allow backup discs to boot? Surley if they did this, it would be perfectly fine to play copies, watch vcd's etc? Or does the law still stand, even though sega ceased production in 2002 and basically gave the hacking community what they needed to play backups? or am I completely wrong altogether.

Any infomation would be nice,

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

No I don't think it has become legal as Sega still own the intellectual property of their games, which they could decide to re release on a Sega Dreamcast handheld console (it could happen) in years to come.. No games company would be happy about you playing their **** for free and I think the reason with them releasing the softwware to play backup copies is they expected you to own the originals (naive, I know).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Not professional legal advice:

The copyright still applies. The provision of the utility to allow backups to be played was most likely to benefit customers who may, over time, lose or damage their discs which can not be replaced.
    Whether the developer would choose to persecute...only they could say. However, it's not legal and they'd be entitled to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Alot of DC games that you download are self booting now anyway. Never had to worry about that as my machine is chipped.

Bought Under Defeat on Play Asia last month. It's a magnificent game. Nice and simple like the Strikers 1945 series.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Everyone: Careful now!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

You should be able to pick up Dreamcast games very cheaply anyway. Try Ebay or even the FS Consoles board here. There's a thread over there at the minute with loads of DC stuff on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

Oh feck the law. The games are practically abandonware now anyway. Piracy may have killed the dreamcast, it can't kill it again. Sega don't lose money from you pirating a game, they sure as hell don't make money if you buy a second-hand copy of a game. I'd go as far as saying that at this stage dreamcast piracy would be positive for sega, and help them make money off games on current generation consoles. As for the illegality of the subject, I'd eat a hat if someone gets pulled up in court for downloading a dreamcast iso. Btw, some new games are still being released for the DC in japan, I don't think it's right to pirate those. Only for games that would be difficult to get otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Brother To God

Hello All,
    I have a thread over in the old for sale section ,check the consoles and you will find a hoard of dreamcast stuff.

Advertisement