Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The PlayStation 3 is a computer. We do not need no stinkin PC.

• 03-06-2006 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

Didn't know it was linux based but there ye go.

"We believe that the PS3 will be the place where our users play games, watch films, browse the Web, and use other [home] computer functions," said Harrison. "The PlayStation 3 is a computer. We do not need the PC."

Apologies if old news yada yada

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2634

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Looking at the original interview and the full question and answer, I don't think he quite meant that it'd replace your PC:

"SPIEGEL ONLINE: Speaking of online, Microsoft has just announced "Live Anywhere", an integrated Windows-Xbox-Mobile environment. Is that something you're worried about because you don't have the same access to the PC market as Microsoft does?

Harrison: No, it doesn't concern me and I don't think it concerns the consumer either. Once you adopt a game system as your primary entertainment device, that's what you want. We think that Playstation 3 is the place where our users will be doing their gaming, their movie watching, their Web browsing and a lot of other computer entertainment functions. That will satisfy them. Playstation 3 is a computer. We don't need the PC."

http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,419072,00.html

Notice that Spiegel asked about Sony's access to the PC market versus MS. I think when he said "We don't need the PC" he was referring to that, not that people would not need a PC once they had a PS3..

Of course, PS3 is a computer, but it's not a PC, which might be a subtle distinction for some..there is Linux on the hard disk, but Sony themselves said that it's intended really for programmers, not for general desktop use (though it could be used that way).

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

i think its a fair enough point from harrison, after all if the average user can browse the web, watch movies etc from the comfort of their armchair..well why not? nintendo are including an opera browser for the wii, i could see myself using that.
    That doesn't mean i'll replace my PC unless they suddenly announce photoshop and flash for PS3, Wii et al:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

hairball wrote:
    That doesn't mean i'll replace my PC unless they suddenly announce photoshop and flash for PS3, Wii et al:P

i give it 2-3 months before software gets cracked onto ps3 hdd's :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Helius

An interesting article that shows the differences of PCs and consoles (360 and ps3), rather interesting, you might be surprised.
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.games.video.sony-playstation2/msg/62ff83d96ea78ea9?hl=en

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Helius wrote:
    An interesting article that shows the differences of PCs and consoles (360 and ps3), rather interesting, you might be surprised.
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.games.video.sony-playstation2/msg/62ff83d96ea78ea9?hl=en

That's a ye olde article aimed a PC audience (hence the reassurance). Cell and Xenon no doubt make sacrifices - mainly to programmer comfort - but it's not for no good reason. A nice practical balance to an article like that some time on is, for example, word from a Pandemic developer about the two versions of Mercenaries 2 that are in development - the PC and PS3 version. He notes that the PS3 version is currently faster, and signs off with a "go cell!" exclamation.

If you write for Cell or Xenon as if it were a regular desktop chip, you'll have very unexceptional performance. But if you write to suit both, you'll be able to do things no current desktop chip could (well, in Cell's case anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

i give it 2-3 months before software gets cracked onto ps3 hdd's :p

If you mean porting apps like photoshop then I wouldn't hold my breath. You can run some of these on x86 linux using Wine but it may be more difficult on the ps3 cpu and would probably require a separate wine project\team to develop it for the ps3. For example, there is a dedicated project for developing Wine for PPC based macs http://darwine.opendarwin.org//.
    We'd need a simlar project that ports the wine code over I think.
    Even with that, WIne only runs a handful of windows apps. I use it for a few things (shockwave, quicktime etc).

In terms of a desktop, if all you want to do is browse the net\ send email then you should be ok with PS3 linux. Hopefully they will put good multimedia support into it. Some linux distros don't support mp3 (and many other media formats) out of the box for fear of legal problems.

Advertisement