Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica play complete Master Of Puppets album live

• 03-06-2006 11:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭

Apparently Metallica played all of Master Of Puppets at Rock Am Ring tonight. The stream wont work properly for me though. Hope this will be on youtube soon enough. Can't wait to see Disposable Heroes and particularly Orion played live.

Interestingly Dream Theater played a cover of the same album before but it sucked. Amazing musicianship but lacked the incredible energy Metallica still play those songs with.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

Interestingly Dream Theater played a cover of the same album before but it completely ruled!

Fixed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Well I thought the Dream Theater version was good enough when I heard the audio but then I seen the video of them playing the title track and they all just stood there. No energy, particularly from the lead singer. James Hetfield has to play guitar as well as sing and he still does more running around then the DT dude. Plus as far as I remember they played it at a similar speed to the original album version, which seems slow compared to the Metallica live version. That song has been copied by so many bands but the original live version from bootlegs during the Cliff Burton era is still the best by far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Running around does not a live show make

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

In fairness, even though I'd probably prefer Dream Theater to Metallica, DT's version of MoP was fairly limp. Stick to your own stuff lads, it's what you're good at.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

In fairness, even though I'd probably prefer Dream Theater to Metallica, DT's version of MoP was fairly limp. Stick to your own stuff lads, it's what you're good at.

Oh I dont know about that, I thought they did an excellent job. A few of the solos were off, but other than that it was fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

isn't that show supposed to be on MTV today/tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

isn't that show supposed to be on MTV today/tonight?

Doesn't look like it

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

It's being covered by MTV Central/Germany.

Unfortunately, MTV UK&IRL don't play music anymore unless there is some hope for coverage on MTV2 UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

It was shown "Live" last night. It said Live but i was watchin the stream of it and it was about half an hour ahead. Telling my cousin what was comin up next. Ruined it for him. But anyway, great set, would be happy with that next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Running around does not a live show make

Ok, not running around literally but just some energy. Limp is a good word for it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

It was on MTV2 for an hour last night, but yes 30 mins delayed, and how annoying is is to watch the first hour of a 2 hour plus concert, just when you would be into it they end, I was copying the feed - which was very very patchy sound wise, but the gig itself was very good, looking forward to them, and will enjoy not hearing St.Anger stuff......
    MTV ended it really badly too, no announcements nothing, just ended, they were showing the whole thing on MTV Germany.......

the show is around in a few places if you look for it.......

and I like the idea of them playing MOP from start to finish.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

They're playing a whole album right through? I suppose that's good for Metallica fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

cant wait to hear this in full, will be very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 the clansman

i think the dt version is very good....a bit i dunno.....stiff or something at times though http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu6QVA7Zhq8&search=dream%20theater%20playing%20metallica

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Well, I just watched it there, my god, they butchered Orion. Kirk and Lars are totally off, on everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Damn, I was really looking forward to hearing Orion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Lars always butchers everything, hopefully there'll be less mistakes on Sunday.....but I enjoyed the set as a whole...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Everyone seems to think they'll be doing this on sunday as well....I certainly hope so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Tonight's setlist in Berlin was:

Motorbreath
    Fuel
    Wherever I May Roam
    New Song
    The Unforgiven
    Battery
    Master of Puppets
    The Thing That Should Not Be
    Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
    Disposable Heroes
    Leper Messiah
    Orion
    Damage, Inc.
    - - - -
    Sad But True
    Nothing Else Matters
    One
    Enter Sandman
    - - - -
    Commando (with Avenged Sevenfold on vocals)
    Seek and Destroy

from www.metontour.com

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

They played Last Caress at Rock Am Ring also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ether

Saw the Rock am Ring gig, they sounded good, not as tight as normal though. Lars ****ed up a few times and Kirk probably figures i've played these solos so many times who cares.
    Playing the album straight through brings something fresh, theres only so many times I wanna hear fuel or sad but true.
    Lets hope they play a new song, just a long as Lars leaves the biscuit tin lids in LA.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Kack imo, maybe the quality doesn't do it justice but I'm fairly certain my opinion won't change.
    What do ye think of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Agent Steel

Great-quality audio recording of new song available now:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=53367

I'm not mad about it. Nice to hear a solo though.

What do ye think of it?

st. anger with solo's.... meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭funky_buddah

Well I thought the Dream Theater version was good enough when I heard the audio but then I seen the video of them playing the title track and they all just stood there. No energy, particularly from the lead singer. James Hetfield has to play guitar as well as sing and he still does more running around then the DT dude. Plus as far as I remember they played it at a similar speed to the original album version, which seems slow compared to the Metallica live version. That song has been copied by so many bands but the original live version from bootlegs during the Cliff Burton era is still the best by far.

I agree with you completely man, Dream Theater's version was musically excellent, but there was no energy whatsoever, they looked bored onstage, I wasnt impressed at all, and it should have been sped up a bit, it's not as if Dream Theater cant play fast! Although I have to say Petrucci looked to be struggling with the quick downpicked riffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Hallainzil

If you've ever seen their "Five Years In A Lifetime" DVD, you'll have seen them cover Damage Inc. with Barney Greenway from Napalm Death on vocals. Personally, I thought that it was quite decent, but was made hilarious by the fact that we see John Myung almost drop his bass with laughter when Barney starts to sing.

As for the MoP cover, I thought it was pretty damn good for a band with only one guitarist. And Mike Portnoy played the drum parts like Lars Ulrich does in his fantasies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

how many misfits covers do they do/have they done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Hallainzil wrote:
    If you've ever seen their "Five Years In A Lifetime" DVD, you'll have seen them cover Damage Inc. with Barney Greenway from Napalm Death on vocals.

Saw that video before somewhere alright. And as soon as he starts, Petrucci's face lights up with a big grin. It was pretty hilarious alright, I must say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

They played all of Master of Puppets tonight aswell :)

Advertisement