Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling Ireland from the UK (cheaply)?

Options
  • 04-06-2006 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

This might be one for members in the UK ringing home but here goes anyway...

I live in the UK now but my brother still lives in Ireland and only has a mobile so it costs a fortune to ring him (I text him a lot but like to speak to him the odd time! :) ). I was told of companies who do cheap calls to Irish mobiles and so far I've tried two who have prefix numbers you ring before being prompted to diall the full international number. I first tried DiscountDial (7p per min) and was told that there was no reply at my brother's end in Ireland. I then tried Abroadtel (8p per min) and was told that I was being connected but after two mins there was nothing so I hung up.

I followed the instructions correctly so why wasn't I connected to Ireland? My brother says that his mobile didn't even ring so how can DiscountDial say there was no reply? He lives within sight of his mobile company's mast so it wasn't as if he was out of coverage or anything?

Can someone recommend a company where I'll actually be put through, please? ;)

BTW, he doesn't have a pc yet so SKYPE isn't an option yet.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

genie wrote:
    This might be one for members in the UK ringing home but here goes anyway...

I live in the UK now but my brother still lives in Ireland and only has a mobile so it costs a fortune to ring him (I text him a lot but like to speak to him the odd time! :) ). I was told of companies who do cheap calls to Irish mobiles and so far I've tried two who have prefix numbers you ring before being prompted to diall the full international number. I first tried DiscountDial (7p per min) and was told that there was no reply at my brother's end in Ireland. I then tried Abroadtel (8p per min) and was told that I was being connected but after two mins there was nothing so I hung up.

I followed the instructions correctly so why wasn't I connected to Ireland? My brother says that his mobile didn't even ring so how can DiscountDial say there was no reply? He lives within sight of his mobile company's mast so it wasn't as if he was out of coverage or anything?

Can someone recommend a company where I'll actually be put through, please? ;)

BTW, he doesn't have a pc yet so SKYPE isn't an option yet.

Thanks!

try this maybe?
    http://www.telestunt.co.uk/

claims to be 0.5p per minute but i haven't used them so can't offer any guarantees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I use a similar service to telestunt... just different access nums.
    Simply send a text to 80041 (costs you 3quid) and you get 3quid credit with them.. and calling from mobiles to the 020 access numbers isn't too bad.
    Cheapest from UK landlines/payphones but handier on the mobile.. no calling cards or having to key in pin numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

loyatemu wrote:
    try this maybe?
    http://www.telestunt.co.uk/

claims to be 0.5p per minute but i haven't used them so can't offer any guarantees
    That's the cost for calling a landline. Calling an Irish Mobile will cost 15p/min.

(I've been using telestunt.ie to call the US for almost 18 months - it's a great service)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 vimak

skype costs 18,4c/min to mobile in Ireland, 2c to landline

Advertisement