Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Simple Exiting Roundabout question

Options
  • 04-06-2006 12:47am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭

When in the inner lane and exiting do you give way to vehicles coming up beside you or do expect the other vehicle to give way to you, in order for you to exit the roundabout

Diagram - Just in case

quickee8sh.jpg

My answer is to keep position and wait until it is safe to complete exiting the roundabout

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Being Irish, I say: pull across whenever and wherever you feel like it, and never use an indicator.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

theoretically, the person on your left has given way to you and shouldn't be in the picture. my policy for roundabouts is make steady progress, because you don't want someone to catch up on you on the inside and never have anyone alongside you on a roundabout.
    though, if you do find someone blocking your way, i would go around again, it's quicker and easier than exchanging insurance details.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

You shouldn't be attempting to exit a roundabout from the inner lane. Prior to approaching the exit you should have moved to the outer lane. As far as I can see, it is hard to see how you could end up in the situation in the diagram, unless the second car pulled out in front of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

on larger roundabouts the road markings bring the person taking the third exit on to the outer lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

By the time you reached the second exit, you should have been moving into the exit lane. The other driver would not have been able to enter then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

ps you should have gone from fast lane to fast lane only. ie you changed lane at the exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

cantdecide wrote:
    ps you should have gone from fast lane to fast lane only. ie you changed lane at the exit.
    Huh? Whats a fast lane?

I suspect the roads are two-lane roads, but the roundabout is two lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

the norm is ,person on inside is on inside and will be taking exit to right,person on left will take first or second ,any exit after 180 degrees ,your to be on inside,you only exit off aroundabout from left lane only,except in dublin where you seem to do what you like
    its in road rule book,it say you exit only in left lane,stay in right lane if turning to exit to right side of you in roundabout,not hard
    according to your digram,person in right lane is in wrong in trems of road rules.as person in right lane,depending whos more in front,you both should be in left lane,only tyraffic going to right in roundabout should be in right lane

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

cantdecide wrote:
    As Victor has pulled you on the term 'fast lane' I won't mention it. However, I will make the assumption that it was a type and you meant overtaking lane.
    The overtaking lane is used for overtaking - if you are not overtaking you should not be in it so if you are exiting a roundabout you should be keeping left around the roundabout as you approach your exit anyhow, so by the time you exit you should be in the normal driving lane as you enter the other road.

Advertisement