Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty Points Question

Options
  • 04-06-2006 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I got cuaght doing 60 in a 50 zone earlier on. He took my details so I presume I'll be getting a ticket in the post in a few days time!!

Do I have to inform my insurance company that I got the 2 points?? I only got my own insurance 2 weeks ago and its €2,500 as it is....if I tell them do ye think it will go up by much??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Did the garda give you any documentation ?

Normally the procedure is that you get an on the spot fine of €80 and 2 penalty points or if you choose to contest it and are found guilty you can get 4 points and have to pay €120.

If he didn't give you anything then I'd imagine you got off with a warning.

On the question of your insurance, normally they let you away with having 2 points, but within only 2 weeks of taking out your insurance it won't look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hey,

No he gave me no documentation.....I gave him my licence....he wrote stuff in his book and he took the reg number and he gave me my licence back and he just said "just watch your speed in the future" and off I went. I thought it was a bit odd that he didn't give me any documentation.

So do you think I should tell in insurance company or is it a case of what they don't know won't hurt them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

could be just recording the details for the pulse system in case you come up again...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Wait till or if you receive a Fine... really they are not on your Licence untill they are applied when they are you get notified.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

doesn't sound lke you're getting fined, sounds more like a warning to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

jamieh wrote:
    Hey,

No he gave me no documentation.....I gave him my licence....he wrote stuff in his book and he took the reg number and he gave me my licence back and he just said "just watch your speed in the future" and off I went. I thought it was a bit odd that he didn't give me any documentation.

So do you think I should tell in insurance company or is it a case of what they don't know won't hurt them :rolleyes:

this is the new procedure for the fixed penalty notice, you will get yor fine notice in the post in a month, pay that and then you will be notified when your points are applied.

The garda dont give out on the spot fines anymore its all done through there fixed penalty notice system where the fines are sent out by post, if he definitly took your licence and reg then you definitly will be getting a fine and two points.

I got done exactly the same a couple of months ago and checked with quinn if they affect my insurance but there was no change with two points.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

2 points will not affect your insurance but you should let them know anyway when you get the points notification. 4 points + I believe does change things.
    My points arrived 6 months after the "alleged" offense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

2 points won't affect your insurnace unless you are with Hibs or Tesco where you will loose your 17.5% discount if you get 2 points. Any more will cause considerable increases. Also Tesco and Hibs will automatically know if you pick up any points as they have access to the database.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

draffodx wrote:
    if he definitly took your licence and reg then you definitly will be getting a fine and two points.

I wouldn't agree.

The words "just watch your speed in future" seems very much like a warning to me.

Points don't affect your premium until renewal time.

Big Balls wrote:
    I wouldn't agree.

The words "just watch your speed in future" seems very much like a warning to me.

said the exact same thing to me, i didnt get my fine for ages, was hoping i got away with a warning but a month after the offence i got the notice, i would be fairly sure it was not just a warning the OP got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hey all,

Thanks for the advice.....I'd be very very surprised if it was just a warning....I'd say I'll be getting the fine this week.

I'm with Quinn Direct so i'll let them know about the 2 points seen as it doesn't affect the insurance!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Until you get a letter in the post saying you have points and they are taking effect from x date, I wouldn't say anything to any insurance company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Don't let them know until you have the actual points notification letter after you have paid the €80.

jamieh wrote:
    Hey all,

Thanks for the advice.....I'd be very very surprised if it was just a warning....I'd say I'll be getting the fine this week.

I'm with Quinn Direct so i'll let them know about the 2 points seen as it doesn't affect the insurance!!

Dont let them know until the points are actually applied to your licence, which wont be for a couple of months anyway, you dont actually have any points until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

jamieh wrote:
    Hey all,

As I said, seeing as you only have your insurance 2 weeks, they wouldn't be best impressed so keep it to yourself until the notice arrives.

Advertisement