Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal Attacks

• 04-06-2006 9:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭

Guys

The amount of attacks that have been occuring here is starting to get out of hand, particular point to parking in letterkenny.
    This started from a request to parking beside the bus station to the initial response of getting a taxi, this is a fair comment in my opinion.
    The reply of a basic right to park, WTF are people talking about, we do not have the basic right to park, if we did then it would be illegal to build and develop car parks.
    Basic rights are limited these days, you ahve the right to live, the right to love and the right to die, all in between is something you earn. I am not stating law, just my opinion, and please remember this is MY opinion. If someone disputes my thoughts and has valid points to sway my thought then, in theory, i do not have the right to my opinion.
    This is the whole beauty of Boards.ie, we have a place in cyberspace taht allows conversation and discuusion but like life we dont flame one another. The basic right of manners is possibly not one we have a right to but perhaps is one we should show to each other.

There are topics that will set people off, we all know that muffler has some strings, as does paddy civvie byte smashey nanook in fact everyone.

Lets play nice, talk hard and have a good time and enjoy the basics of what Boards.ie is and will always be.

Any thoughts to share on the topic, and this one is wide open for discussion so i cant see any off topic bannings comming up.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I knew you were lurking in the bushes waiting to pounce :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

like i always said, i have always been more a voyeur than a contributor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

nanook wrote:
    like i always said, i have always been more a voyeur than a contributor

I don't know what is worse, personal abuse or voyeurism.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

As with Real Life™ discussions will go off topic.

Banning somebody for going off topic would be harsh, unless they go off on a tangent that is as far out as a lighthouse in relation to the topic in question! :)

Now...
    Make love, not war! (not neccessarily with each other mind!) :D

byte wrote:

Banning somebody for going off topic would be harsh, unless they go off on a tangent that is as far out as a lighthouse in relation to the topic in question! :)

Now...
    Make love, not war! (not necessarily with each other mind!) :D

it all depends how off topic and for how long you go off topic. if you face off your direction by 1 degree and keep walking, it wont be long before you are way off your original track.

Banning is not so much for off topic, it is more on the line of out or line attacks and also constant deviation from the topic in hand.

I like straight talking, i think it is something that we lack in today's standings, but straight talking is different to direct abuse, and direct abuse is not allowed.

• Advertisement

byte wrote:

Now...
    Make love, not war! (not neccessarily with each other mind!) :D
    I can only speak for myself but I would never consider banning anyone for going a wee bit off topic as we all do it. Mind you its a straight ban on other forums as i learned to my cost.

However if the off topic remarks are way out of line and the poster persists in straying either in a particular thread or a series of threads then something has to be done about it. I have tried to advise a few people here as to where they were going wrong and I have to say that most people accepted that advice.

If anyone does not like or agree with another members post or opinion they can say so and state their case. But if there is any form of personal abuse in any of the posts then the red card must follow but again that will only be as a last resort.

I really enjoy the NW forum and overall it is running pretty smoothly but when a difference of opinion arises I would like to think that we are all mature enough to deal with it in an acceptable manner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

So - no off-topic bannings?

there's a lot to be said for a boards beers night where you can say after a dozen pints -"so will you ban me now?" Really this cyberspace will be no fun until you can send remote electric shocks to someone elses keyboard. then a permanent ban might be 115 Kv

you can and may get banned for off topic, but it all depends on the situation, but personally attacking someone is out of bounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

personally i thought the taxi/attack/thing hilarious! i skipped half the thread and went to the end and just thougth 'wtf has this to do parkin at the bus station?'
    was funny from that angle.

NorthWest should enforce banning of the letter E, where any use of that letter will result in an immediate ban. Starting after this sentence.

Go!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

From my point of view, this has been a storm in a teacup.
    Yes, muffler and I had bit of a spat, so whats new ?...thats life.

No real harm done and lets keep our North-West forum the best regional forum on boards :D .

I offer my sincere apologies to muffler if I got up his nose !, and my thanks to Civilian Target for defending me, let other posters judge.

So lets keep our local forum, as popular as it deserves to be ;)

The best 'Regional forum' on Boards.ie.

P. :cool:

• Advertisement
    byte

Paddy20 wrote:
    The best 'Regional forum' on Boards.ie.
    Well, I suppose so, though..

There is this one :D:p

byte wrote:
    Well, I suppose so, though..

There is this one :D:p

Sorry byte,

I clicked on your link, but it did not take me anywhere relevant ?... or am I missing the point ?... I admit I am probably missing the complete scenario ;) Unless. your link was meant to go directly to my 'NAME CHECK ?' ramblings?..

byte

The link takes you back here, to the North West forum! :D

Meaning, this is the only good forum for the NW! :p

byte wrote:
    The link takes you back here, to the North West forum! :D

Meaning, this is the only good forum for the NW! :p

OK, point taken, lets hope our Mod,s get the point ?..

Paddy20 wrote:
    I offer my sincere apologies to muffler if I got up his nose !, and my thanks to Civilian Target for defending me, let other posters judge.
    First of all Paddy your apology is accepted.

Secondly this thread is about discussing personal abuse and associated issues and not as you suggested for others to judge who was right or who was wrong with their posts in a completely different thread.

As I said before we all wander off topic at times and we all have certain issues that we feel strongly about. In light of what has happened recently it is clear that all of us have a responsibility to ensure that the forum runs smoothly.

Myself and nanook will give everyone a fair crack of the whip but just remember to stay on-topic and dont insult the poster. Every problamatic post will be looked at in its context to that particular thread and what will also be looked at is a members persistant wandering off the topic and continual or sporadic abuse of other posters or their posts.

Lets all enjoy ourselves and keep this forum as popular as it deserves to be.

I agree, but please bear in mind that that posters have a right of reply I also appreciate that Boads.ie has always stated "it is not democatric" Say no more?..

P, :cool:

Paddy20 wrote:
    I agree, but please bear in mind that that posters have a right of reply I also appreciate that Boads.ie has always stated "it is not democric" Say no more?..

P, :cool:
    Of course posters have the right to reply otherwise there would never be a discussion or debate. Everyone's entitled to their point of view which may or may not be popular with other members but if the posts are civil and moderate in tone there will never be any problems.

Democracy I hear you cry Paddy. It has been well documented here before that this site is in effect privately owned and as such there are ground rules laid down. Its like going into someones house. What you allow yourself or others to do in your own home may not necessarily be allowed in someone elses home. Its called protecting your own patch ;)

Yes , but freedom of speech , without restriction is something that, still is being restricted,, is naturally something that concerns me, particularly now we are suppossed to have been given the freeedom of cyberspacee?...

Yet we already have self appointed bureaucrats, trying too control us.

They have not got a hope in hell ?...

Paddy you appear to be having a bit of difficulty understading this point.

Freedom of speech in cyberspace is all yours providing you go and get your own website set up. At the moment you are using someone elses website and you have to accept their rules and regulations.

I can for example invite you to my house tomorrow but it is under the strict condition that you do not discuss politics. If you then decide to bring up the topic of politics I will ask or even order you to leave as it is my house and I have the right to decide what happens and what can be discussed in it.

In your own house you can talk till the cows come home about politics as that is your house and your choice. If you are in a public place you can discuss politics providing no law is broken.

The simplest way to sum this up is that boards.ie is not public. It is private and for members to post here they must abide by the wishes of the owners. So there is no free speech here. There is acceptable debate etc but no free speech

I can only advise you that you are in someone elses stall here Paddy and like it or not that means that you, me and everyone else must accept the now infamous charter and if we dont we have to leave. I cant put it any simpler than that.

If this matter still bothers you then you will need to open a thread in the help desk or PM one of the admins

Thanks for that very prompt reply, muffler.

It appears to me that the unquestionable freedom of cybersrspace is already even in it's infancy being attempted to be taken over and controlled by org's such as Boards .ie although I personally do not believe at this stage that they deliberately are trying to influence the view's or opinions of individual citizens.

Advertising has raised it's ugly head, just about everywhere on the web, including Boards.ie. this means income and Capitalism, so maybe Boards.ie neeeds to look again at it's constitution.

I am certainly gettting the impresssion that greedy capitalists can manipulate well meaning voluntary organisations in the interests of long term profits for their investors.....

God help us ?...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

cmon fight fight!!!!!

paddy

this is way off topic, we are talking about personal attacks, attacks against individuals who post on here.

I am going to be leniant here and give you the benifit that you will not stray off the topic.

If you continue to post in this manner, off topic, then I have no alternative but to give you a weeks holidays.

Please stick to the topic

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭bettlebrox

retalivity wrote:
    cmon fight fight!!!!!
    <pretend we're all 16 again and drunk in some disco>
    What the f**k you think your looking at? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭bettlebrox

Paddy, all this has more to do with liability than it has to do with freedom of speech. In many countries around the world owners of website have been sued for comments that have been posted to their websites. Until the legal authorities and the courts specifically prevent website owners from being sued for comments posted on their websites they have to be very careful.

This is not boards.ie trying to stop us from saying our piece, it's about boards.ie saving themselves from being sued into oblivion, the Gardi showing up and hauling all their computers aways, and their ISP from shutting off their Internet connectivity, and them being chucked out into the streets.

If you have issues with this you should consider writing to your local TD & MEP, and consider joining http://www.eff.org .

OK, enough said before I get banned for a week, if you want to talk more about this please start another thread, if you want to chat with me feel free to message me.

On the point of personal attacks, it happens on all forums, and the reason is, I believe, is that with written text one cannot hear the context of what one is saying and it is very easy for misunderstandings to arise.

My advise to all here, if one see's something that appears to be a personal attack, wait a day and re-read the posting and then ask the person who posted what exactly they said. Most often you will find that it's all an innocent mistake, if it's not an innocent mistake then ignore it. As they say don't feed the trolls!

beetlebrox

could not have put it better myself

lets refresh everyones minds on the personal attacks

Advertisement