Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Maths help - '00 algebra q2. part c)

Options
  • 04-06-2006 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭

It's a bitch of a factorising question, and it happens to be the only year I've lost my teachers notes for!

Part i) is fine, you have to factorise a*4-b*4 (a*4 = a to the power of 4)

Now part ii) is a*5 - a*5b - a(b*4) + b*5. If that even makes sense.

Any help anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

stick to the rugby:D

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Shanegggg

a*5 - a*5b - a(b*4) + b*5
    = a*4(a-b)-b*4(a-b)
    = (a-b)(a*4-b*4)
    = (a-b)(a-b)(a+b)(a*2+b*2)

=) (a+b)(a*2+b*2)(a-b)*2

Thats the answer there. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Ahh right cheers. I was trying to do it like (a*5 + b*5) - ab(a*4 - b*4), and the power to 5 was screwing me over. Even thought of bringing the binomial into it but quickly realised I was doing something wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Just remember that, within a question part, part i usually leads on to part ii and so on like it does there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Well my way had it leading on from part i) too with with ab(a*4 - b*4) thing. They haven't asked a part c) factorising question since then so maybe they've fallen out of favour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

or that there due to come up again...

Advertisement