Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

slicks on mtb?

Options
  • 04-06-2006 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

i have a Specialized Rockhopper FS 2000model. http://www.epinions.com/bike-Bicycles-All-88847-Specialized_Rockhopper_FS__1999/display_~latest_prices without buying a hybrid or a racer for commuting can i change the rims and tyres to that similar to a racer? at the moment there are Front: Ritchey Rock SCX, Rear: Ritchey Rock OCR rims and the Tyres: 26 x 1.95" Specialized Dirt Control Sport.
    i was told not to play with the geometries like this, is this true?

essentially i want to lose the chunky wheels for slimmer aerodynamic ones so i can get places quicker. or should i just sell the bike and buy a racer/hybrid instead??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Alkers

You can lash new tyres on easy yeah. Don't think it would be worth your while swapping wheels though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Simona1986 wrote:
    You can lash new tyres on easy yeah. Don't think it would be worth your while swapping wheels though.
    Agreed. I have the same bike and have Continental Sport Contact 26x1.3 tyres. They are fast and have great puncture resistance. Max pressure is 85psi. You will need new tubes.
    Only downside is that they are royal PITA to take off. I broke a bunch of plastic tyre levers before buying metal ones. They are still difficult to get under but the puncture preformance means that I'll keep them.

I've been tempted to try the Continental Grand Prix 26x1 tyres though I'd be concerned at the loss of puncture protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

so alls i gotta do is get the tyres...no new rims...just the tyres and suitable tubes and thunderbirds are go. sweet. thanks for the advice.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

I have used several different specialized nimbus tyres and am currently running schwalbe city jets, 3 months, 1500km no punctures (touch wood) and pretty quick. They are a little wider than the contis mentioned previously at 1.5"
    R

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

daymobrew wrote:
    Agreed. I have the same bike and have Continental Sport Contact 26x1.3 tyres. They are fast and have great puncture resistance. Max pressure is 85psi. You will need new tubes.
    Only downside is that they are royal PITA to take off. I broke a bunch of plastic tyre levers before buying metal ones. They are still difficult to get under but the puncture preformance means that I'll keep them.

Have these tyres myself and they are excellent. They are actually 65psi. I found them fairly easy take off with metal levers. Only had one puncture with them in the 5 months I've had them so far. Thats good going for me considering my old mountain bike used to get punctured at least twice a month on the same route.

• Advertisement

Have these tyres myself and they are excellent. They are actually 65psi.
    Do you have the 26x1.6 tyres? (see "Rec Inflation Pressure" on the Continental site.

i got specialized crossroads ex 26x1.95 on at the mo. as soon as i get some cash together ill be changing them to those contis 26x1.3 probably

hey daymobew...

...since u changed to contis 26x1.3 and u got the same bike as me have you noticed a significant difference in performance due to the whole gear ratio thingy and reduced wheel circumferences? cos if the change in performance (as in you gotta peddle more) is only slight that'd be alright with me.

ba wrote:
    hey daymobew...

...since u changed to contis 26x1.3 and u got the same bike as me have you noticed a significant difference in performance due to the whole gear ratio thingy and reduced wheel circumferences? cos if the change in performance (as in you gotta peddle more) is only slight that'd be alright with me.
    I had been using 26x1.6 slicks before the Contis so the change to 1.3 wasn't much. My legs haven't noticed the difference.
    The motivation to change was puncture protection and they've done that job brilliantly.

its near to impossible to get my hands on contis contact sport, 26x1.3. apparently places are having problems ordering them in from nottingham or sumthing. i see cycle ways and cyclesuperstore only got 'em in 700. no good to me. ill just hav to wait and ive been waiting a month already :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

ba wrote:
    its near to impossible to get my hands on contis contact sport, 26x1.3.
    I got mine here. http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/category-26-(559)-ATB-rigid-197.htm
    he has a store on ebay.co.uk so check it out, it may be cheaper

ba wrote:
    i see cycle ways and cyclesuperstore only got 'em in 700.
    The Cycle SuperStore website claims to have 26.x1.3 in stock. Did you phone them?

yeah, i phoned them. the lads in cycle superstore only got 'em in 700. might try that link above. buying online sounds the best route to take.
    although in cycle ways i noticed the closest they had were 26x1.5 and i think there was only one there, about 2 weeks ago now. and im kinda settled on gettting the 1.3s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Bikedock in the North seem to have them in stock:

http://www.bikedock.com/posit/shop/index.php?category=34&group=5

ba wrote:
    the lads in cycle superstore only got 'em in 700. might try that link above. buying online sounds the best route to take.
    They should be able to order them in for you. Back in Feb I ordered out of stock gloves online. They got them in a few days later.
    When I replace my tyres I will ask them to special order the ones with reflective sidewalls for extra safety at night. Or special order the non folding 26x1" Grand Prix tyres.

Advertisement