Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas BBQ

Options
  • 04-06-2006 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of getting a Gas BBQ for the ease of lighting etc, but I am worried the taste will not be as nice as charcoal BBQ.

Anyone that uses a Gas BBQ care to comment?

Also what type should one go for - Lava Rock or Heat Distribution plates?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

Qwerty? wrote:
    I am worried the taste will not be as nice as charcoal BBQ.

Agreed. Don't care what anyone says the taste isn't the same. :(

On the other hand the gas ones are bloody handy and I hear theres a good gas one going in B&Q at the mo for about €140 ..

I'm in the same boat .. I think I'll build one for charcoal and f$%K the begrudgers!:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Have to agree, gas is easier but charcoal is tastier. Unless your going to be doing it on a very regular basis, i'd go with charcoal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Yeah - charcoal tastes much better but is awkward to light and a lot more difficult to control the temperature. I used to use charcoal but bought a gas BBQ this year and find it great. I can just go out and light it and cook dinner outside and eat it within half an hour. Charcoal is just harder work but the results are tastier - if you get it right. I've seen many people turn a burger to charcoal by letting things get too hot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Thanks Guys,
    I do think if we had a Gas BBQ we would use it alot during the summer down the the simple fact like crosstownk says you can light it and have food cooked in 30 mins.
    crosstownk wrote:
    I used to use charcoal but bought a gas BBQ this year and find it great.
    Just out of interest Crosstwok:- What type did you get? and are they heavy on gas?

The one I have is a "Fiesta". I got it in Woodies last October when they were selling it with nearly €100 off - it was originally €270. I've used it a only 4 or 5 times so far and the cylinder of gas (yellow - butane I think) is still quite full, or at least its still heavy and nowhere near empty.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I bought one in Argos today, €50 off, so only 109. Had a few kebabs tonight, very nice...:D Trade off on convience to taste is worth it.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Without a doubt - gas is best for convenience. We've not cooked indoors since last Tuesday - everything's has been done on the gas BBQ (apart from a couple of boiled eggs on Saturday morning). Don't think that I'd have had the patience or inclination if I was working with a charcoal BBQ.

Has anyone tried adding wood chippings to lava rocks for a more "authentic" BBQ flavour? Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

crosstownk wrote:
    The one I have is a "Fiesta". I got it in Woodies last October when they were selling it with nearly €100 off - it was originally €270. I've used it a only 4 or 5 times so far and the cylinder of gas (yellow - butane I think) is still quite full, or at least its still heavy and nowhere near empty.

What gas cylinders can you use? Thought you could only use the patio gas [grey] ones? Bought a new Gas BBQ but those damn cylinders are sold out everywhere because this is the nicest weather we've had since 1782. Also it seems I have a propane regulator [?] Anyone know the story ???

Raiser wrote:
    What gas cylinders can you use? Thought you could only use the patio gas [grey] ones?

Depends on the model - some use propane [grey] - others use butane [yellow]. Check the instructions that came with the BBQ.

Mine runs on butane & I've gotten almost a year of regular usage (at least once a week when the weather is good enough) out of one canister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭YoYOPowder

zod wrote:
    Agreed. Don't care what anyone says the taste isn't the same. :(

On the other hand the gas ones are bloody handy and I hear theres a good gas one going in B&Q at the mo for about €140 ..

I'm in the same boat .. I think I'll build one for charcoal and f$%K the begrudgers!:D

Zod, all your food tastes like **** regardless ;)

Just do what I do. Never clean it, so after a while you get that smokey taste anyhow.. :)

• Advertisement

Hi All,

Anyone point me in the direction of some propane gas for a BBQ in Limerick? B&Q, 4 Home, atlantic Homecare etc. + petrol stations & everywhere else I've tried are sold out 'cause of this dammed heatwave.

Is there a Gas Depot on the Dock Road in Limerick still ????

I have a shiny new BBQ since Sunday. and no gas :(

Raiser

Hill Billy wrote:
    Has anyone tried adding wood chippings to lava rocks for a more "authentic" BBQ flavour? Any thoughts?

I bought a bag of them yesterday in Woodies, but it states on the side, that "Combustion By products produced when burned contain chemicals know to cause cancer, birth defects and other reproductive harm", and as the wife is 16 weeks pregnant, we didn't bother trying them.

Qwerty? wrote:
    I bought a bag of them yesterday in Woodies, but it states on the side, that "Combustion By products produced when burned contain chemicals know to cause cancer, birth defects and other reproductive harm", and as the wife is 16 weeks pregnant, we didn't bother trying them.
    I didn't know that - I was going to buy them to but wife is 12 weeks pregnant - so I'll give them a miss too. Cheers.

Qwerty? wrote:

Thanks for the heads up Qwerty?!

Best of luck with your respective partners' pregnancies guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Raiser wrote:
    Hi All,

Anyone point me in the direction of some propane gas for a BBQ in Limerick? B&Q, 4 Home, atlantic Homecare etc. + petrol stations & everywhere else I've tried are sold out 'cause of this dammed heatwave.

Is there a Gas Depot on the Dock Road in Limerick still ????

I have a shiny new BBQ since Sunday. and no gas :(

Raiser

Would you consider changing the regulator for a tenner and switching to butane. Allthough some of the books that come with the barbecues recommened propane, the main reason for this is, that they are designed for the europeen market where propane is mainly used ,due to its ability to withstand freezing temparatures in the winter for there home cooking.. I switched mine over and its working fine. Handier getting barrels as well!.

Thanks for your reply and suggestion Tred - I see your point allright - those yellow gas cannisters are everywhere. I reckon I'll just keep what I have and I'll get one eventually.

Was reading up on Propane - is colourless, odorless and non-toxic - they then add a distinctive odour for safety reasons :eek: This cannot be good for my sausages, steaks and chicken can it ? :confused: - I assume Butane is much the same BTW ?

Raiser wrote:
    Was reading up on Propane - is colourless, odorless and non-toxic - they then add a distinctive odour for safety reasons :eek: This cannot be good for my sausages, steaks and chicken can it ? :confused: - I assume Butane is much the same BTW ?

I think they add the distintive odour because it is toxic:confused:
    The advantage of propane is it doesn't freeze at 0 degrees C... I for one do not plan on having a bbq in the minus figures.

I switched my regulator to the butane one.... much to her annoyance when she went to use the hob this morning:rolleyes:

Had burgers tonight on the gas bbq... must say nothing wrong with the taste, plenty of flames with the fat dripping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Raiser wrote:
    Thanks for your reply and suggestion Tred - I see your point allright - those yellow gas cannisters are everywhere. I reckon I'll just keep what I have and I'll get one eventually.

I have being using it since Friday..and i am not dead yet!!!. I went to 4 places and couldnt get propane, then one guy had 3 different bottles...so i needed to check the regulator, and the one that came from lidl must have being fvor a different bottle..i just swopped the regulator for a tenner myself and then bought the bottle of butane...

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

I have been using a gas bbq for at least 15 years and i use charcoal when in France on holiday. There is NO difference except in convenience. What gives bbq food the taste is the juices of the meat dropping on to the hot material, burning and the smoke from it flavours the food. My advice is use the gas bbq and experiment with lots of marinades for your food, ie try mixing olive oil with sherry or rice wine and some soya sauce equel amounts loads of black pepper a clove of garlic and a few drops of tobasco works well with steak or burgers. Marinades will cook in to the food and create more burning juices. Best of luck whatever and always have a beer at hand to put the fire out, lol.

Cheers hargo - some good tips - I'll try some of them at the weekend if the good weather continues.

• Advertisement
Advertisement