Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which wireless service is the best in Carlow?

• 04-06-2006 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭

Well lads, I've seen Clearwire, Digiweb and IBB all have wireless available in Carlow now. Which one is the best in the area.

IBB offer Ripwave at 512K Down, 128K Up for €18.95 a month, Clearwire charge €29.95 a month for a 1Mb service with 256K up which goes up to 40€ after 6 months and digiweb's offering is 512K up, 128K down at 29.95 a month.

Anyone got any opinion's on either one in Carlow.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I cant speak for Carlow, as they may have a different service there, but I've heard nothing but abuse about IBB/Ripwave in Dublin, in the last couple of months. Huge packet loss, down time and just general head aches that mean its cheaper price is not worth it. With that said, this may only apply to dublin so I'm afraid it wont help you much ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

We've all heard the horror stories about IBB. I was thinking though that in a less populated place like Carlow they should have a better service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I had Digiweb wireless in Carlow last year (512k service which has been upgraded to 1mb I believe). Despite some of the rantings in the broadband forum, I thought the service was great, it was good for gaming and the technical support was actually informative and keen to help. I now live in rural Carlow and no longer have broadband :(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

what games did you play.....rpg or fps like.....big difference their in terms of lag....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I use clearwire and I've no complaints.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭El_mariachi

clear wire here its dear but if u get full signal like i do its frecking sweet!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I will not pass any comments apart from this one, I hear clearwire block most ports apart from http, smtp and ftp.

Just to let you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

i had clearwire while i was in college no good for fps like cod

was ****e until after 7pm

customer support was bad they hadnt a fecking clue

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Depends what you intend to use it for. (filesharing,browsing skype,gaming etc)

Are all the options the non aerial ones like Ripwave?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

Moonbeam wrote:
    Depends what you intend to use it for. (filesharing,browsing skype,gaming etc)

Are all the options the non aerial ones like Ripwave?

basically all of the above but mostly gaming n using teamspeak aswell at same time of course......ive been thinking of going wit bt, the line connection like. its the 3MB down n 384kbps upload speed...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

is the Digiweb metro not in Carlow Town yet ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 OMEGA-KNO3

Hi if you want to see what the clearwire coverage is well here is the map for Carlow and live down the Tullow Road in a housing estate.

Coverage-Carlow.gif

And as for gaming fps on xbox 360 work ok but anything like crackdown or racing games lag and i'am supposed to have a 2MB download speed but I've only ever reached that speed at 2.00 A.M. so to clearwire sucks and i hope to go next with either Digiweb or Eircom if Eircom fixes there 50 year old lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭lynch_3001

my next door neighbour got the clear wire in 1mbpackage, had nothing but trouble. i was in every other night trying to speed it up and anti-lag it etc. and every few days i would have to reset it. just to let you know, this coould be a once off thing. also i couldnt torrent anything on it( legal stuff....) which would be the bulk of our transfers, as hhe at the time was trying to use new linux distros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

i had digiweb in carlow for two years, definitely go for them! if ntl is available its not too bad, but if you run into trouble they are the worst for doing anything, id drop them but they're the cheapest i can find!

well i would say digiweb myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭rossious

I live in Carlow and have used Digiweb (3mb I think!!) for about 4 months now. There Broadband is excellent and v fast when filesharing browsing etc. Havn't used the phone yet, but I've not heard good things about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

But which is better Clearwire 1mb or IBB Ripwave 1mb? I can only get one of those two which will you recommend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

Digiweb Metro.

I got my ripwave 2 days ok. I actually think its better than clearwire am abole to play eye of judgement on the pc going to test COD4 2night. Browsing is grand no slow down pc game (warcraft no lagg).

I do get full bar signal only 3 for both Q and S.

Ok problem looms. My connection keeps cutting out on warcraft or when am doing major download. So I cut it off apparently that is normal. So now am going to clearwire if I want to download somthing big I would go to the library down town.
    So safe option is clearwire you can always find alternative for p2p dl.

• Advertisement

no you cant!! its unm-possible!

Ok new update.
    I cut of my IBR connection and they're ment to pick it up but they never did. I notice that the connection is faster and no connection drop like before.
    Strang init, if IBR works like this all the time it will be brilliant I can even enjoy ps3 games online.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

There is no point in using ripwave or clearwire for gaming or other latency depandant applications. IBB have a new mast in carlow so you could try the breeze or breeze max as they are far better for latency. I have breeze max and play, xbox360, wii and ps3 without issue. And before anyone comments it is just a regular install like all other customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mrDuke

We have digiweb, having no problems yet with it. Good pings in CSS

OK I haven't update in a while but for the past couple of month using ripwave its not actually bad. It doesn't cut off like before because I got so kind of update. Am able to play online games with little or no lags on the ps3 and pc.

By the way am using the 1 mb version. The only thing I notice is that is a bit laggy when its raining heavyly :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

i'll be moving my Clearwire back to carlow in the next week or two so I'll let you know how that goes....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ada4347

if i was to get digiweb wen de give me my modem do i hav to buy a router or is it wireless?

Advertisement