Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Back Probs - changing seats

Options
  • 04-06-2006 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi all, lurker posting for the first time....
    I bought a 01 Mondeo about Sept of last year, and have since developed some pretty bad back problems (posture related according to the physio). I'm not convinced they're related, but it was the only major thing that changed around that time. I do about 2.5 hours driving a day so probably in car enough for it to have an affect.

Anyway two questions...anyone offer any opinion on how likely it is the problems have been caused by the seats in the car?
    And secondly, anyone offer suggestions, I'm considering having the seats changed, but no idea how expensive, practical, likely to help etc that would be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Rather than looking to change the seats in the car, a better idea would be to change the way you sit in the car

Move your car seat forward to keep knees level with hips. driving with both hands on the wheel to help keep your back straight.
    Get out of the car every hour, walk around, and stretch your back. Don't sit far back from the wheel and don't slouch or lean forward over the steering wheel

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MGrah

colm_mcm wrote:
    Rather than looking to change the seats in the car, a better idea would be to change the way you sit in the car

Move your car seat forward to keep knees level with hips. driving with both hands on the wheel to help keep your back straight.
    Get out of the car every hour, walk around, and stretch your back. Don't sit far back from the wheel and don't slouch or lean forward over the steering wheel

Thanks for the advice mate, didn't have the prob with previous cars, but thinking of it, this is the first car I have owned with a driver's armrest, so could be leaning to one side more that I would have before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Some cars have awful seats, they appear to be wonderfully comfy then after about 30 mins you realise your lower back's starting to ache in that curious fashion which requires some sort of bolster to relive the pressure.

If you spend alot of time behind the wheel "Germanic" seats are often the best though Saabs make the best of the lot.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

was about to transfer my custom seat to new vehicle but mechanic said it may cause problems with the airbag system. Anyone got any experience of this?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Tony wrote:
    was about to transfer my custom seat to new vehicle but mechanic said it may cause problems with the airbag system. Anyone got any experience of this?

your seat probably has an airbag in the side of it, you'd be compromising your safety, and probably disabling your airbag system if you change seats

• Advertisement

stating the obvious? I asked if anyone had experience of doing this

colm_mcm wrote:
    your seat probably has an airbag in the side of it, you'd be compromising your safety, and probably disabling your airbag system if you change seats

sorry bout that. I've only experience of changing passenger seats for swivel seats, you'll need to bring it to a dealer to re-program the airbag system (unless that's too obvious)

No problem thanks for the info, guess i'll have to check with nissan if its possible to re program for one less seat

colm_mcm wrote:
    sorry bout that. I've only experience of changing passenger seats for swivel seats, you'll need to bring it to a dealer to re-program the airbag system (unless that's too obvious)

Advertisement