Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need to charge vat to American company?

Options
  • 04-06-2006 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a question... do I need to charge VAT to American company?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

there are a few gotchas with this but assuming they are in America, probably not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Products for export outside EU are zero rated for VAT.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Hmmm, so the EU forced American companies to charge Europeans VAT, but it's ok for us to sell to them without? Seems a bit kooky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭denhamd2

there are a few gotchas with this but assuming they are in America, probably not.

ok its for Google Adsense advertising theyre paying me for from America, so there would be no VAT on this right?

Interesting question. Google in most of the world is basically a Dublin-based operation. They certainly are if you're buying ads from them. For purchases in Ireland, I think they may be VAT-exempt by virtue of the large volume of exports they do. But you should ask them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭denhamd2

its for selling ads and the cheques are from america in US dollars...

you don't charge VAT on that. They would have no way to get a refund on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No VAT. I get services from the UK and EU and I am charged no VAT. Usually all that is required is a valid VAT number. The relevant tax authorities then waive the VAT.

Advertisement