Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meteor Upgrade Problem

• 04-06-2006 7:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭

I just bought an upgrade from meter this afternoon and I'm having trouble with it.
    The phone will make calls but it won't let me send messages, everytime I try to send a message it just says 'message sending not allowed'.
    Has this happened to anybody else before and if so, what am I supposed to do to fix it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm going to hazard a guess that you got a Nokia 6101 or 6103 (or even a 6020).

Anyways, the main problem is that these newer symbian OSs don't work with older sim cards. Simply pop into your local Meteor store and get a replacement sim. They won't charge you as there's a problem with your sim card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bamboozled

If its an old card, do as above and get a new one. They may charge you - dont just assume they wont. They charged me €7.50 for a new card when mine wouldnt work with my phone.

Iif its not then it depends on what type of message you're trying to send. If it was an SMS then I'm stumped. If it was an MMS, go to the Meteor site and send the settings to your phone.

Bamboozled wrote:
    If its an old card, do as above and get a new one. They may charge you - dont just assume they wont. They charged me €7.50 for a new card when mine wouldnt work with my phone.

Iif its not then it depends on what type of message you're trying to send. If it was an SMS then I'm stumped. If it was an MMS, go to the Meteor site and send the settings to your phone.

All sim replacemnts, if there is a genuine problem with the sim card that is not your fault, are free. If you are being charged, you are not not supposed to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

chrislad wrote:
    I'm going to hazard a guess that you got a Nokia 6101 or 6103 (or even a 6020).

Anyways, the main problem is that these newer symbian OSs don't work with older sim cards. Simply pop into your local Meteor store and get a replacement sim. They won't charge you as there's a problem with your sim card.
    the 6101 and 6103 don't have symbian OS's :confused:

Yes, they do. Series 40. It's still Symbian. Or so I've been told by the mobile tech support at Meteor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Nope, I got the 6060.
    Is it still the same poblem?

Forgot to add that to my list :)

Yup, that runs the same software as the 6103 and the 6101, bar the extra bells and whistles that those two have. A sim swap should sort it out for you.

chrislad wrote:
    Yes, they do. Series 40. It's still Symbian. Or so I've been told by the mobile tech support at Meteor.

ah, meteor tech support told you, this is the problem. you may remember my "meteor incompetence" thread. they don't have s40. this link:
    http://www.nokia.ie/web/product_tech_details?productId=233

doesn't specifically mention the OS but this:
    http://www.nokia.ie/web/product_tech_details?productId=212
    specifically says the 6280 has s40 (under display and user interface) so i'd take it from that that it doesn't

edit: also, if i search on www.gsmarena.com and only include symbian phones it doesn't show up. check and mate :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bamboozled

I'm not surprised i was charged. It IS Meteor after all ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

These are not symbian os,meteor aren't smart are they??series 60 means symbian os, phones that are symbian out at the mo are the 6680,n70 etc

• Advertisement

damo86 wrote:
    These are not symbian os,meteor aren't smart are they??series 60 means symbian os, phones that are symbian out at the mo are the 6680,n70 etc
    the n90, 6280, n80 among a few others. but you're right, meteor doesn't do any symbian phones. and symbian can be s40 too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

eh... series 40 is nokia's own OS, nowt to do with Symbian...

series 60, 80 and 90 (later merged into 60) are various Nokia implementations of the Symbian OS

you can find out about their OS systems on Forum Nokia
    Nokai_Platforms_03.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

chrislad wrote:

Nope. Those phones are s40. there is no such thing as a S40 phone running Symbian OS, only series 60 - completely different phones :)

HavoK wrote:
    Nope. Those phones are s40. there is no such thing as a S40 phone running Symbian OS, only series 60 - completely different phones :)
    well you learn something new every day. i never really thought about it much. i always just connected s40 and s60 and thought they were the same company

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

K, the problem was the sim, y'all were right.
    I went into the shop and they gave me a new one (for free) no hassle.
    Thanks though.

well you learn something new every day. i never really thought about it much. i always just connected s40 and s60 and thought they were the same company

Well Series 60/80 are Nokia, but they just run the Symbian OS. You can get Siemens and Sendo phones running the Symbian OS as well, but it just doesn't seem right when its not a Nokia....:D

Anyway, the Siemens and Sendo symbian phones didn't sell particularly well and outside of Nokia symbian phones are pretty rare

... not sure I'd agree with the term rare to describe the the UIQ / Symbian OS of the SonyEricsson P series (also used in Moto A series) smartphones... not as popular as Series 60 sure but seen a decent number of professionals / people into their higher end phones with a P series in their hand... should also get a boost when SE finally release the P990, plus the other models they have coming on stream in a while like the M600 (left) and the W950 (right):

se_m600_white_front_devices.ie.jpgse_w950_black_front_devices.ie.jpg

Yeah, I had forgotten about the SE phones somehow....which is a bit dumb of me considering I used to have one of them :D Although as you said regarding business, the p series are not very common to see around the place generally, whereas you'd see nokia s60 phones left right and center - in most cases by people who actually don't even know what the symbian os is, or what it can do - people who buy the se p line usually know exactly what they are getting and get it for a reason

I could not use any non-Symbian phone nowadays...love it far too much!

Out of interest did anyone here ever use the Sendo X symbian phone? I've used the Siemens sx1 and it was rubbish - the layout of the phone was beyond terrible - but I'd be interested to know what the sendo is like

HavoK wrote:
    Out of interest did anyone here ever use the Sendo X symbian phone? I've used the Siemens sx1 and it was rubbish - the layout of the phone was beyond terrible - but I'd be interested to know what the sendo is like

yeah - had a couple of hands-on demos with it - more info in this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=121377

never got one in the end as it took so long to become available - had Sendo got it out quicker (as planned) they could really have had a handset to beat the Series 60 devices Nokia had out at the time... but as the delivery time slipped Nokia announed / launched handsets that provided similar specs and most people when with those...

Advertisement