Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

zonebroadband.com

• 04-06-2006 7:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭

First of all, I DO NOT WORK FOR THESE:

www.zonebroadband.com

Has anyone heard of these, they supply an adsl wireless broadband, similar to IBB. As I will be soon living in Derrinturn Kildare, I've just contacted these regarding their service. Apparently the need 15ish subs in the area to setup a lan-like service to customers. The service consists of 2mbps downwards, and 512kbps upwards, and as Eircon/Digiweb can only offer 512kbps down and 56kbps up, via satellite for €30pm and €423 setup, they must be the best alternative. Anyone from Derrinturn, or surrounding area, if so please post replies regarding they're ISP's dial-up or other, as moving in time nears I don't want crappy dial-up.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I'd stay away from them. Their back haul is satellite, which is crap. You wont be able to file share, game, host a web site, run a VPN and use a VOIP service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Yook

Dear lord! Wireless Broadband with a Satellite backbone. I get it just to see how bad the latency is :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

if its the only thing he can get he might as well until cabled services go into his area

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Is torque not there and maybe some other wireless operators,possibly icecomms or clearwire or premierbb , and even Irishwan ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Torque is rediculously expensive to set up btw, a m8 outside Blessington has it. €400 or so to setup compared to some other companies being less

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭nilhg

I would suggest you have a look at this before you go for satellite, it might also be worth talking to lastmile they have a transmitter on the water tower in Edenderry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I'd stay away from them. Their back haul is satellite, which is crap. You wont be able to file share, game, host a web site, run a VPN and use a VOIP service.
    True but at least they say that on the website.
    OP, if it's your only hope (and I mean your only hope) then give them a try. It's not going to be easy for the new neighbour to go around knocking on doors trying to drum up interest in BB though.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭Longrangedriver

Thanks for the replies. I've had a look at some of the sites here, some of the pricing is crazy and extortionate, I'll contact them anyway and see how I get on.

Advertisement