Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing silicone.

• 04-06-2006 8:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭

I can't find any mention of this in previous threads, so here goes.

What is the best way to remove silicone from a surface (shower tray)? I had a leak and had to remove all the tiles and am now left with a mess of silicone. I have been picking at it with a sharp knife but this is very time consuming.

Any advice would be greatly accepted.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I'd use a razor blade scraper. I'm doing the same thing at the moment and its a PITA. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,484 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You can get special silicone remover stuff from most DIY stores. It's a kind of jelly that you spread over the silicone and leave for a while. It softens the stuff to make it easier to remove. Works quite well, from what I remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Alun wrote:
    You can get special silicone remover stuff from most DIY stores. It's a kind of jelly that you spread over the silicone and leave for a while. It softens the stuff to make it easier to remove. Works quite well, from what I remember.

Thanks for that. I will try to get it in B&Q tomorrow and nuke the shower tray.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

That remover jelly is meant to be good all right, but a blade worked fine for me the last time I re-did my shower tray. Despite this, its still leaking a tiny bit in one corner. Time to nuke it again me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

Have used that jelly to tidy up after the builders who basically left the entire wash hand basin covered in silicon works a treat leave it on for about 2 hours and the stuff just wipes off hate to think whats in it :D

Eddie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

eddiej wrote:
    Have used that jelly to tidy up after the builders who basically left the entire wash hand basin covered in silicon works a treat leave it on for about 2 hours and the stuff just wipes off hate to think whats in it :D

Eddie

I just bought some and now have to get a pair of rubber gloves. They don't list the ingredients so it must be fairly powerful.

Advertisement