Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does dropping out make college easier?

Options
  • 04-06-2006 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭

I know, you're thinking of course it does, you're not in college anymore:D That's not quite what I'm getting at.

Let's say you drop out of a course but then six months later for whatever reason decide to go back, maybe not to the same college or the same course. Did/do you think it's easier.

As you may have guessed I'm trying to get people's opinions becuase I'm in this situation. Over the last few weeks I've been going back over the stuff I did and it's all flying back into the aul noodle and I think that if I was to go back I would be in a much better position than I was. What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

I had to take a year out for work experience after 2nd year because I did not get high enough marks to go to 3rd...( after repeating 1st! )

Going back after the year out showed I wanted to finish the course for me and I applied myself and did very well.

I then went on and did a further 2 years nights to get an add on Dip.

The break was the best thing ever as when I went back I worked hard as I knew I wanted to do it well.
    Then on the other hand you may be going back as you have half odne it already and expecting a cosy year to only let slip again the following year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

You'll be returning with more of an idea of what it's all about - so you'll be under no illusions as to what needs to be done. Also you've had time to reflect so hopefully you're more certain of what you want to do with yourself - things like that are of great benefit when it comes to motivation.

However, if you're just going back because you're bored and things didn't work out as you thought they might then... who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

The thing I found and which was later explained(that most courses are like this) to me is that the course hadn't really anything to do with what you would do when qualified and that bugged me, (tell me, is talking about the Irish Times, the US MPC and Robert Mugabe going to get you a good job as a solicitor? Feck no!).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I went to college when I was 18 and only lasted 6 months or less even at it, took 4 years out working and decided to go back last september, I find i'm much more mature and focused this time and while I struggled the first time around 1st year this time has been a breeze, miss the money from work though

Did you go back to the same course or a different one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Paddy Irishman

Originally posted by GDM:
    Over the last few weeks I've been going back over the stuff I did

Have you applied to the CAO GDM? Are you thinking of changing direction and studying something in a different area. I'm kind of in a similar situation to you. Would like to learn more about money and finance in particular the stockmarket. I dropped out of a computing course after a year. Unfortunately I've missed the boat CAO wise for this year.

I applied to the CAO again but either won't be taking anything I get or will be deferring for at least a year as I've just got a full-time job.

Advertisement