Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mileage counter problem

Options
  • 04-06-2006 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

A friend bought a hyundi coupe 01 last week from a well know garage in dublin it had two owners and 20K on the clock seemed a very good buy. But she noticed that after travelling home one evening from work her mileage counter had only registered her journey as 1.5miles when in fact its 25miles home. she kept an eye on it for a day or two and she had the same problem.the garage have the car back and are fixing the problem told told her that it never was a problem before. After talking to friends she now has no confidence in the garage or car as they have no way of assuring her that the last owner was driving around alot and that the mileage is correct. what are her rights.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

She would be in a stronger position if the garage did not have the car back as they may have fixed it already.
    I suppose she could request a refund from the garage seeng as she only had it a week and if she doesn't get any joy from that contact the consumer association and the SIMI.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Some garages sell vehicles with e.g. "20k recorded miles" or "20k on clock" to cover themselves against dubious odometers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Some garages sell vehicles with e.g. "20k recorded miles" or "20k on clock" to cover themselves against dubious odometers.

It remains misrepresention, albeit innocent misrepresentation. The remedy can stretch as far as invalidating the contract... thus allowing you get your money back. If you get nowhere with the garage it might be worth talking to a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If this happened to me, I would have no confidence in the car and would demand a refund. If not satisfied, my solicitor would be on the case.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement