Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new stargate season starts on July 14th

• 04-06-2006 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

new stargate season

starts july 16

in america

most people download the episodes

there is no way iam waiting until october until the new episodes

who else here downloads the episodes

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yes, lets all post up how we commit an illegal act, and something thats against forum rules! I can see that being a great idea!

Sarcasm off now, expect a mod to stomp down hard on this, but I think its fair to say that most people wont wait.

Looking forward to it myself.

Edit: Unless of course, you're talking about downloading it legally from itunes or somewhere, but I dont know if its available through any of them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Discussion of how to obtain episodes will see me stomping down hard on people. Very hard.

Of course discussing new episodes, after they've aired in the US, is fine and within forum rules (e.g. using spoiler space, appropriately marked, etc) as how am I supposed to know how you saw the episode?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

They actually start July 14th and I'm in Boston with Sci-Fi on cable! Score. I'll tell ye what happens when i see them! (joke) Then we can discuss. Nothing illegal about that!

I hope season 10 is good but can anyone see them doing a Da Vinci code on it with the weapon being the grail and continuing king Authur and the knights of the round table’s quest for it! I mean what am I suppose to believe now.

A) The grail is a cup
    B) It was Mary Magdalene
    C) It’s a weapon to destroy the Ori

tut tut :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭yeroulfella

CatInABox wrote:

Edit: Unless of course, you're talking about downloading it legally from itunes or somewhere, but I dont know if its available through any of them.

I think it will be on i-tunes but only for america, not sure if you can change your i-tunes account settings to the american store, you might need an american address on your credit card.

they had a few free clips of a different programme a while ago but i couldnt get them as i has my i-tunes account set for Ireland, it needed to be set for america. i never tried to change acount arount so not sure if it would work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

OmegaRed wrote:
    A) The grail is a cup
    B) It was Mary Magdalene
    C) It’s a weapon to destroy the Ori

tut tut :D:D:D:D

I like the sound of that!

Vala is Mary Magdalene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭cyberwit

I would have deep concerns about downloading Episodes of Stargate Sg-1 because of the fact that according to one of the producers in an article i read in gateworld.net the longer a series runs the more it costs to make them and the less profit (ye right) so the more people illegally downloading could by my thinking effect how long SG-1 runs after season ten. :confused:

cyberwit wrote:
    I would have deep concerns about downloading Episodes of Stargate Sg-1 because of the fact that according to one of the producers in an article i read in gateworld.net the longer a series runs the more it costs to make them and the less profit (ye right) so the more people illegally downloading could by my thinking effect how long SG-1 runs after season ten. :confused:
    That's true - there was a post from Ronald D. Moore along those lines. When BSG Season 1 was on, it aired first in the UK and many US fans downloaded it. He went on to say he appreciated their enthusiasm but, by downloading it and not watching it, it had an adverse effect on the ratings and could damage the show.

Now I.. somehow.. see SG-1 and SG:A before it airs here, but I also buy the DVDs which gives back far more money so me? Guilt free. Plus, might I add, I have no effect on the ratings as I'm not part of the Nielsen system that the US uses to judge ratings and decide the fate of the shows.

Downloading is still evil naturally and forbidden to enquire about by charter ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Downloading? You're looking at a guy who does not have broadband. But still Tut,Tut. There's nothing better than the build up to each episode, waiting till eight o'clock for the show on Sky One, clearing your schedule to make sure nothing interrupts you...(well I would, if I had a life outside Stargate:D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭cyberwit

I do have Broadband. My point is that i do not wish for Stargate Sg1 or Atlantis to end much like "Threshold" and if people do not watch the show those rotten producers whom would squeese every penny from if they could will end the show too many good shows have been cancelled and i do not what the same to happen the stargate.:) :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

stargate is much like the startreck serieses they just wont end :)

• Advertisement

Evd-Burner wrote:
    stargate is much like the startreck serieses they just wont end :)
    I was reading an article in one of the many sci-fi mags and, apparently, after James Bond the Stargate franchise is MGM's biggest money-spinner and is in no danger of vanishing anywhere (it does very well on DVD for example). In fact, if anything, there's rumours of SG-1 leading into a movie which will, potentially, bring about a second spin-off...

Well, there already was Stargate movie, incidentally it was the first movie to have an official web page. Speaking of movies, I would however like to see a feature length episode of Stargate- you know a 2 hour episode or something. It wouldn't be that hard for them to do as most episodes are originally an hour and a half when scripted and are than cut back.

delta36 wrote:
    Well, there already was Stargate movie, incidentally it was the first movie to have an official web page. Speaking of movies, I would however like to see a feature length episode of Stargate- you know a 2 hour episode or something. It wouldn't be that hard for them to do as most episodes are originally an hour and a half when scripted and are than cut back.
    They already did that - "Children of the Gods". It was the pilot episode for "Stargate:SG-1" and even features full-frontal nudity...

2-parters asides, the only other extra-long episode is Season 8's "Threads" (about 52 mins instead of 42). I imagine what MGM are proposing is more in the spirit of the pilot but with a bigger budget.

Hmmm....as I recall 'Lost City' was supposed to be a feature episode or movie or something and it was to wrap up Sg-1 for good.
    But apparently MGM wouldn't give them the budget becasue they didn't want to see Sg-1 end.

As for the downloading thing...I still watch the episodes when they air and I buy the DVDs.
    Was that 'threshold' show canned becasue of downloading?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭robnubis

Hells yes i'll be downloading, why wait the extra 2 months??? thats a load of gay.

So where will all you guys be downloading from? iTunes? wink wink, nudge nudge. :D

Or i'll just watch em on www.craftytv.com, $5 to watch as much US TV the day after it airs as you want for a year. Its for nothing and its nice and legal, not to mention easy as theres no downloading involved, which can be tiresome sometimes

(all mentions of downloading regard legal downloading of episodes from say iTunes, or purchasing from Google video)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

The more interesting question is why do we have to be so far behind the US. Isnt it not possible in this day and age where we can watch the Superbowl live on ITV from a US feed, that they can air the new SG eps on Sky One or the UK SciFi at the same time or a week after the US airing? Please dont tell me its because of rights issues as surely SkyOne is not so broke that they cannot afford to pay MGM to show SG since they will be showing it anyway this September/October.

On another note, you can switch iTunes store to a different country but I dont know if you can buy from them. I remember a song I was looking for once was only on the US store.

Well i think they have to sort out contracts and stuff to air it Internationally. But tbh can you wait an extra 2 or 3 months? me? NO.

As far as I know, Sky One and the American Sci Fi channel are owned by the same company. But I think it's just rotation or something, personally I'd prefer too see the whole thing from start to finish without he mid-season break they have in America.

And we're not that far behind.

Umm previously we've got to see the second half of SG-1 before the US because they take a huge break whereas Sky One, when they begin, don't. So it's actually far better than with most US imports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭madmike18

well in america they do take a mid season break

on both shows sg-1 and atlantis

but atlantis is then countinued in canada so the rest of the season is on in canada

it countiues about a month after the midterm break so it is ahead alot

which i think is ont far again that they all get the show before us

now the point is i download the episodes but other people in my house stil watch them on sky one when it starts

lol dont know they dont just take the episodes i get

but i also buy the dvds so i dont see how they wwould stop making stargate

what makes u think it would cost more to make the episodes they muct be amking more money and they get lots of grants and investers so that means they have loads of money which is pretty cool

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote:
    Umm previously we've got to see the second half of SG-1 before the US because they take a huge break whereas Sky One, when they begin, don't. So it's actually far better than with most US imports.

Yeah but with the latest seasons that changed, but even still we were only 5 days behind or something.
    I understand not wanting to wait the huge gap for the first half of the season but the second half is only a few days so it's no biggy for me.
    what makes u think it would cost more to make the episodes
    The actors have to get paid more each year.

If you do watch the shows illegally,(which you shouldn't), then all you have to do is turn on your T.V. to the show when it airs on Sky, which keeps the ratings the same!:D

delta36 wrote:
    If you do watch the shows illegally,(which you shouldn't), then all you have to do is turn on your T.V. to the show when it airs on Sky, which keeps the ratings the same!:D
    And makes no real difference. Most shows fates are decided on their US ratings. In the US, in turn, that's done by the Nielsen corporation. They have representative families of all the various demographics who record what shows they watch and these are taken as being the whole of the US. They also, I believe, do spot phone calls on what peope watched.

The actual number of Nielsen families, who effectively decide TV ratings and their fate, is about 40,000 or so for the US with about a million or so done through spot phone calls. Given the size of the US, it's a teeny tiny fraction. More pointedly, only they have to watch the show. The rest of us? It doesn't matter. It makes no difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

ixoy wrote:
    And makes no real difference. Most shows fates are decided on their US ratings. In the US, in turn, that's done by the Nielsen corporation. They have representative families of all the various demographics who record what shows they watch and these are taken as being the whole of the US. They also, I believe, do spot phone calls on what peope watched.

The actual number of Nielsen families, who effectively decide TV ratings and their fate, is about 40,000 or so for the US with about a million or so done through spot phone calls. Given the size of the US, it's a teeny tiny fraction. More pointedly, only they have to watch the show. The rest of us? It doesn't matter. It makes no difference.
    I dont think thats quite true. Take 24 as an example. When it started out, it was only aired over here by BBC (and maybe ITV) apparently it was unpopular in the US and they were going to axe it but it was also very popular here so they kept it going. Sky One only started showing it in the 3rd season onwards. They are making a movie too thanks to us. So it is not just US ratings that decide a show's life.

I'd imagine they're making a movie thanks to the US, not us (wordplay!). It's audience over there is bigger than here, thanks to pairing it up with "American Idol" on FOX. That's the current secret to its success.

As to watching it on Sky.. unless you're part of the TAM group (think they still do it? or is it BARB?), then your viewing, as such, makes no difference. What'd make a difference, I imagine, is that if they find out - somewhere else - that X% of people are downloading, they'll factor it into their representative study and that any one of those people who download will show a bigger downloading trend overall in the nation's ratings.

I don't have Sky, but I'll be watching it somehow and damn well buying the DVDs to show my support for the show.

well if the ratings of the show are based on the us ratings

werll us downloading it makes the show better with the ratings

people record them to put the up for downloading

which means the ratings go higher for the people who download

the more the better lol

i hope they make a film it should be great

same actors have to be in it

and no one it america download the eipdoses unless they dont wont buy them in the shop

but if they watch the show the ratings will be good

the future of the show is not just depending on ratings
    also prop sale(t-shirts,cups stickers), conventions, signings(how many people show up)

and how many people buy the dvds

lots of things rest on the future of the show

but from the ratings its been getting it will go for years

they just made a new enemy the ori which makes a nwe begining to the fight like the goa'uld

so keep the show going and lets watch more

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    and other things like how many people buy the dvds

I don't have Sky, but I'll be watching it somehow and damn well buying the DVDs to show my support for the show.

To quote ixoy above... if you are looking for Sg1 dvds, I have noticed my local "Porters" selling entire series box sets for only €50, which is a lot cheaper than what I have seen for sale in Virgin

9 days people cant wait

this is going to be great

(wel it will be 10 days until people to download them)

over here it is about 2 or 3 when the show airs or something like that
    and then about 2 hours depending on who it upload it so it will be the 15th when me get them)

YEAH CANT WAIT!!!!

Chill. No-one's getting banned and everyone's free to talk about the new series once it airs in the US as long as they obey the spoiler rules listed in the stickies and charter.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I was only messing...:D I prefer the anticipation. Got rid of my message anyway, no hard feelings?

delta36 wrote:
    if you are looking for Sg1 dvds, I have noticed my local "Porters" selling entire series box sets for only €50, which is a lot cheaper than what I have seen for sale in Virgin
    But not as cheap as the legit ones online.

These are legit aswel. Plus you don't have to wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

wh00t 4 more days :D

sutty wrote:
    wh00t 4 more days :D
    Even better - only 2 more days! Or 3 before the cousins get their act together... The original thread title is wrong and always has been. It's back on July the 14th, which is a Friday as ever.

It's great that I'm still enthused about seeing a new season of a show that's been running so long :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

*rubs hands*

Bring on Saturday morning ;)

• Advertisement

cant wait at all the

saturday morning is going to be the best the amount of people downloading the new episodes
    of stargate sg1 and atlantis

iam counting the minutes that go by

Well, damnit! I am going to wait till October. It will be all the sweeter then...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

As far as I know, Sky One and the American Sci Fi channel are owned by the same company. But I think it's just rotation or something, personally I'd prefer too see the whole thing from start to finish without he mid-season break they have in America.

And we're not that far behind.

Most of BSkyB is owned by News Corp (News Corporation)

The american Sci fi channel was originally launched by paramount pictures which was aquired by Viacom, NBC Universal is the owner of the american Sci fi channel

The UK scifi was also launched by paramount pictures but is now independant, hence the crappy programming

Most people like to see their favourite shows as soon as possible, by the time america has aired the first half of season 10 of SG1 skyone will then show the second half of the season before anyone else

The same can also apply to The next season of atlantis, which last season was aired first in canada and stayed ahead of other broadcasts for months

ok it is on in america today

so we will have them tomorrow

YEAH THE WAiT IS OVER

HOOT HOOT

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Soon my pretties.

Let the mornign come as by then it shall be ripe for the taking ^_^

• Advertisement

oh yes it will and i will enjoy every minute of it

CANT WAIT}

hurry up god damm you

WE HAVE WAITED LONG ENOUGH

Yay! SG1 and Atlantis in a few hours, god bless the ppl in the US who take the time to put these onto the net.

*goes to put on replica SG uniform and sit by BitTorrent....oops, i mean iTunes :D

episodes where great!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Private Joker

anyone else think the cousins are slow today :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

3 episodes in and i hadnt even noticed the new season had started :eek:
    Still have to see the last episoide of season 9 but the cousins are being rather coy in sending it to me, plenty of em willing to send the new episodes though.

and i'm way behing in season 2 in atlantis. must get on the blower!!

Advertisement