Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How much to get the head gasket done?

Options
  • 04-06-2006 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

As the title says, has anyone any idea how much it costs when the head gasket goes? I noticed a few drops of oil on the path the other day and I can see a bit of a leak that smoking now one of the lines because oil is getting on hot engine parts. Theres oil on the back of the engine block aswell. It was visually diagnosed by a couple of amatuers that its most likely the head gasket, so worst case scenario , whats it going to cost if the gasket needs replacing. It's a 2.5 20v volvo engine if that makes any difference.

I noticed this yesterday about 2 hours after my uncles daft bint of a next door neighbour tore my back bumper to bits and left a couple of nasty gouges with red paint in them on my bumper, as well as tearing a lump out of the black plastic part. I think I've caught the gasket issue in its infancy as theres no other signs of issue (no overheating, no "mayo" or water in the oil etc).

Actually , while I'm on the subject of getting my car fixed, whats th edeal with getting panels for an older car? it's a 97 safrane, would I be able to get panels from renault or is it a case of hoping someone does spurious panels? The above mentioned back bumper will need replacign rather than repair I reckon. Also, someone either was bouncing on my front bumper in the last few days or crashed into it and drove off as it's suddenly loose, can't see any obvious new scratches but I did notice the grille was puched in the other day and had to take it off and mount it again. I have a strong feeling some prick hit it and drove off. Have a few paint scratche and bumps I'd like sorted 2 so I have to get on to my uncle (he's a panel beater) and try to get him to do it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Are you sure its the head gasket, it could be the valve cover gasket (ie the top cover above the valvegear where the oil filler cap sits).

As for Safrane panals, I'd say you'd be lucky to get any from Renault that dont cost you an arm and leg. I'd start trawling the phone book for breakers.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mike65 wrote:
    Are you sure its the head gasket, it could be the valve cover gasket (ie the top cover above the valvegear where the oil filler cap sits).

As for Safrane panals, I'd say you'd be lucky to get any from Renault that dont cost you an arm and leg. I'd start trawling the phone book for breakers.

Mike.

Ive to drop my dads accord to my mechanic tomorow night so I'll bring mine up at the same time to give him a quick look. Personnally havnt a clue whether it is or isnt but my uncle and cousin both looked and concluded head gasket. I'll take that with a pince of salt till my mechanic either diagnoses the head gasket or (hopefully) says its oil seals or similar.

As for the panels, I've actually come accross a few sellers on ebay and one in particluar who has a few spare bits and pieces for me, but unfortunately with recent (and near future) spendign as it is I can't really jsutify a €250+ trip to england to collect what are essentially non urgent parts as the carwill drive just fine with scrathes and the like. I'd really liek to get it as clean as possible tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd say the head gasket would only be an issue if the car has had some serious overheating issues, the valve cover can spring a leak due to nothing more exciting than a saturated cork gasket or work done in the past and the old gasket being reused or, as with my car, the valve cover becoming warped and so needing replacing.

Mike.

It's killing me now cos I only got the car a month agoand absolutely love it. Problem is , at the ripe old age of 25 I've decided to follow in my fathers footsteps and be a plumber so cant afford to run a 2,5 ltr car on apprentice money. So I'm torn between parking it up and selling it. Either way I'll have to get it fixed but hopefully its not as serious as first thought. Might have to sell it to fund a smaller car tho. I really should have thought before I bought the car, stuck 4 new tyres on it, serviced it and nct'd it, then left my job, but hey, what'chs gonna do. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Agree with mike, a blown head gasket wouldn't usually result in an external oil leak. It's much more likely to be a leak from the rocker cover gasket. This is a trivial thing to fix on many cars but on something complex like a Safrane 2.5 it might be a slightly bigger job.

As for bumpers and grilles, can you not buy them on ebay and get them posted. Many sellers should be willing to post and as the parts you'll be getting are fairly lightweight it shouldn't cost that much.

• Advertisement

Cheers lads. I'm hopeing that since it's a fairly common volvo engine (was in the v70, 850 and a few others afaik) instead of a specific renault one that sold about 8 itshould be handy enough to get work done, fingers crossed.

As for the parts, as I said, I have one guy in england with the bits I'm after but he wont post. He is selling the parts very cheap so I might still be able to swing a trip over as I'm off all thisweek. The other option is to buy a complete car an dstrip it for parts. Theres a couple I reckon I could get for £600 - £700, which comes in under €1000. Thats fairly doable, plus i'dhave a replacement for everything that might go, assuming it isn't gone on the spare one:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭damo605

Well Steve - I still have the scrapped '93 Safrane so you're welcome to any parts off it that will fit yours (For free of course).... Definitely not grill (As that's long gone and is completely different anyways) but maybe the back bumper (which is very good on the scrappy)????

Examine under your oil cap and the dipstick.

Is there a white mayonaise type gunk there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Slinky>

Did you try traynors in the north, I found them reasonable in the past, and they had spurious body panels for a jap import so you could be lucky with a european car, There's normally no carriage charge if you can meet the truck at the collection point I know the come to Galway on a Wednesday not sure about other towns,

damo605 wrote:
    Well Steve - I still have the scrapped '93 Safrane so you're welcome to any parts off it that will fit yours (For free of course).... Definitely not grill (As that's long gone and is completely different anyways) but maybe the back bumper (which is very good on the scrappy)????

Cheers damo. asking you about the bumper never occured to me. that'd be great. The daft bint tore it to bits. I'll give you a shout about that.

I'm off work this week(starting a new job monday) SO if it's possible could I drop down to you maybe tomorow or friday?

As for my engine problem. The mechanic has it at the min, he said its not the rocker cover (he thought it was from the symtoms) It may be down to the oil filler cap or a simple leak, so fingers crossed. He has the cover off and has cleaned the engine so he's checking to see where its coming from.
    ronoc wrote:
    Examine under your oil cap and the dipstick.

Is there a white mayonaise type gunk there?

No, luckily enough it doesnt seem to be showing other signs of head gasket failure, just a lot of gun jumping. No gunk in the oil and it isnt losign coolant or over heating.

• Advertisement

:) yay:) all is good. 1t's 99.99999999% the oil filler cap, the seal seems to be gone.

So another question , anyone know what to use to cleans engines? to get them nice and shiney, I feel a serious cleaning project coming on. Cheers for the help.

Damo, I'll drop you an email in a bit, cheers for the help. It's much appreciated. (ps. any chance the oil filler cap is intact on yours?:) )

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Jizer or Parrafin. Halfords will sell you overpriced degreasers.

cheers henry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭damo605

Stekelly wrote:
    Damo, I'll drop you an email in a bit, cheers for the help. It's much appreciated. (ps. any chance the oil filler cap is intact on yours?:) )
    Hey Steve, just seen your post now - I'm actually off work tomorrow (Friday) so will be around all day if you want to drop down and I'll show you where the car is and help you get the bumper, etc. off. No joy with the oil cap as I robbed that long ago after cracking the one on my car (Too much weetabix) :o

Advertisement