Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasses help please.

• 05-06-2006 12:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭

Help :confused: I'm clueless about this stuff. I'm going in a couple of days to get new galsses. In the past i've always just let the sales person pick what they think looks ok on me, but of course they're more interested in pushing the most expensive ones rather than what would look good. Can anyone suggest some shapes or styles that might suit me? thanks a million :)me sans glasses

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bamboozled

I'd say something small, shaped kind of ovally/square. Or go for rimless if you can afford it, the same kind of shape lenses as I mentioned.

The best way to judge glasses and whether they suit a person, is if you hardly notice them on someone's face, then they're the right kind. I wore glasses for years and a few family members met me with my contacts in and wondered what was the difference - they never took any notice of the glasses on my face.

Bring someone with you on the day. Someone who's opinion you trust - and who will tell the truth. I used take my sister with me (I used get her to try them on too because I was blind as a bat and looked very like her so I could look at her wearing them and tell if they would be ok on me - but i got to see them clearly as I was always wearing my old glasses :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭tovalee

thanks! i do like the square ones and ones that look sort of old 1950ish , but im not sure i can pull them off. i work in a library and dont want to look too much like the sterotype :D

Hey, that stereotype is considered very sexy by some!

If yu'v no one to go with you, take a camera phone with you and take a few pics of different ones. Send them to whoever you think will give an honest opinion and you'll be flying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

You have quite a long, oval face - much like mine - so you don't want anything that's going to appear to make it longer (such as big round frames). Go for small, light frames with not too much height above and below your eyes, ie. the classic secretary style. I find that square styles are particularly nice on your face shape, but oval styles are ok as long as they're not overly rounded.

An example of the kind of oval glasses that would be ok.
    http://absolutestockphoto.com/albums/userpics/10007/normal_Absolute_7_6030.jpg

Personally I think I a square style would be nicest on you. Something along these lines.
    http://www.specsavers.co.uk/specsavers_2005/images/frames/detail/1002064.jpg
    http://www.specsavers.co.uk/specsavers_2005/images/frames/detail/1001838.jpg
    http://www.specsavers.co.uk/specsavers_2005/images/frames/detail/1002527.jpg

Ones with thicker frames are quite funky, but I don't know if this is the kind of look you'd be going for.
    http://www.fotosearch.com/comp/IGS/IGS253/IS119-011.jpg

It's also good to choose frames in a colour that compliment your hair if you want them to blend in as much as possible.

Edit: Just read the thing about working in a library. Bamboozled is right, that stereotype is incredibly sexy ;)

thanks again! i do like the square/ thick rims. i feel like i can go in with a clue now :cool:

• Advertisement

Yeah the oval ones I was referring to would be the ones that are square with rounded corners. If ya can get that....

Any way good luck with them, and let us know what you got. Seeing as you've already stuck up a photo, leave it there and put up one with the new glasses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

go to specsavers if you can
    they have a 2 for one deal on designer stuff... they usually cost €119 inc lenses and you get the second pair under €99 FREE.
    they also have instore cameras so you can check yourself out with the selections you pic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

If you are strongly short sighted I would suggest going for the ultra thin lenses with the refractive coating, they cost a LOT more but are worth it...it also means that you should go for as small a frame as possible.

Just looking at your face shape again which would be a bit like mine - John Lennon style glasses (ie small and round with a very narrow frame) might suit.

What does the refractive coating do? is that to help with glare?

I presume CathyMoran means the super clear lenses most opticians offer (please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), in which case yep, it is to do with glare and reflection. Highly recommended if you spend a lot of time on computers.
    Specsavers offer an excellent lens coating called UltraClear, which is also scratch resistant.

They also make your eyes a lot more visible compared to the thicker, murkier lenses, and so are much more attractive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I got the refractive lens last time around... very good... but extra difficult to keep clean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I have the second pair there - the blue Red or Dead ones - I love them and people usually compliment me on my 'new' glasses whenever I wear them instead of the lenses! :rolleyes: :D

tk123 wrote:
    I have the second pair there - the blue Red or Dead ones - I love them and people usually compliment me on my 'new' glasses whenever I wear them instead of the lenses! :rolleyes: :D
    I have them in a steely colour :) Also love them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I presume CathyMoran means the super clear lenses most opticians offer (please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), in which case yep, it is to do with glare and reflection. Highly recommended if you spend a lot of time on computers.
    Specsavers offer an excellent lens coating called UltraClear, which is also scratch resistant.

They also make your eyes a lot more visible compared to the thicker, murkier lenses, and so are much more attractive.
    Yes, that was what I meant - can not imagine my life without it. When I was a kid it was easier to wear contacts as those coatings were not around and even if you had a moderate prescription your eyes still looked different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

awwwww i know this in unhelpful but have u two differet colous eyes..there SO pretty!!

a word of advice dont buy the classes unless ur COMPLETELY sure..both me and my mum bought pairs just cause we needed them thinking they were oook at the time then hating them after a week!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

I think McNallys on the Green are a great opticians. Yes their frames are expensive but they are fabulous and the assistants are really good at picking out a set of glasses that suit you. They also offer an excellent eye test, testing not only your eyesight but the health of your eye etc.

kizzyr wrote:
    I think McNallys on the Green are a great opticians. Yes their frames are expensive but they are fabulous and the assistants are really good at picking out a set of glasses that suit you. They also offer an excellent eye test, testing not only your eyesight but the health of your eye etc.
    Everywhere tests the health of your eye.

Everywhere tests the health of your eye.
    Do they:confused: I've been to a few different opticians over the years and none of them did as much as McNally's. Maybe thats because of my family history ( my aunt has developed glaucoma and my mum had a detached retina) which has only become apparent in the last few years and I've been going to McNallys for about 6 or 7 years now. Either way leaving the eye test to one side they still have great frames. ;)

Aye, not everywhere does it automatically every time. Some just do it for your first test and then every so often after that. Or more often if, as you say, there's a family history of hereditary problems.
    It's also possible not everywhere did it the last time you went to a different optician, as that was quite a while ago by the sounds of it :)

I might pop in myself and have a look at these mystical frames of joy.

I like Vision Express... their shops look like sets from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

They also do lots of tests that I've never gotten anywhere else... although that firing blasts of air into the eye is a bit strange feeling.

• Advertisement

Specsavers do that firing air thingie too. :D

Specsavers do everything, personally I find them the best of all the opticians I've used to far. The only drawback is the almost invariably long wait on the day of the appointment.

The only drawback is the almost invariably long wait on the day of the appointment.
    The adverts are horrendously bad... It's the main reason I stopped using them.

Commited to your cause eh :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I am very picky with my glasses, had to try on pairs for over an hour in spec savers and it's not like I ever even wear them.
    Hmm, it's hard to say but I would say something small, shaped kind of ovally.

what i went with, i'm pretty happy with em! thanks again for all the input !! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭SexyD4Lady

Beautiful, tovalee! Compliment your beauty very well! ;) Good choice. Kind of a sexetary look, heehee!

Oooohhhh they're very nice. Suit you well!!!
    Good choice and happy wearing!

They're really nice and do suit you. Well done on the shopping;)

• Advertisement

Ooh, I like! Good choice :D

Advertisement