Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism

Options
  • 05-06-2006 6:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Sorry if this is posted incorrectly.

Im due to start a part time Journalism & Media studies course in October. Ive wanted to do this course for several years but something keeps holding me back. Ive been researching jobs and job opportunities and when i do i get really disheartened. All i read is that you have to be really special to get a job in the journalism field and that you will most likely be underpaid and work long hours etc etc. I know if its what i want to do i shouldnt let anything hold me back and just go for it. Id really love to write for a magazine or newspaper but i dont want to waste time doing a course that im not going to use.

Was just wondering if anyone out there has any positive feedback from completing a journalism course? It isnt a degree im doing, just a diploma but i thought perhaps afterwards i could get a job in some related industry and work my way in/up.

Any views/comments welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Id really love to write for a magazine or newspaper but i dont want to waste time doing a course that im not going to use.

Not having done having done the course, I can't comment on the job aspect. However, if it's something you've wanted to do for a long time, and you feel like you want to do it, why not do it?

For a start, go hang out over on the http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=444 News/Media board, and if you're brave enough, PM the mod (Flogen) who I believe is studying Journalism. He might give you some info regarding the career aspect.

Even if worst comes to worst, and after completing the course you find hard to break into the journalism world, you have a useful qualification which may stand to you in other fields to.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Grem

Thanks Buffybot,

I PM'd Flogen and probed him a bit.
    I know i should just go for it, chances are i will. I just wanted to find out what other fields i could use the course in, from people who have done a similar course.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

It's a tough one. Getting work in the media in this country is all about contacts, not what you know but who you know.

I do a lot of freelance and stringer work for UK publications now, they are much more prepared to take you on face value rather than your connections.

Advertisement