Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1st WC sending off may be sooner than expected.

• 05-06-2006 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Referees' chief Keith Hackett says officials who fail to implement Fifa's eight-point hit-list will be ruthlessly dealt with at this summer's World Cup.

Fifa has told referees to get tough on several high-profile areas of concern, including diving and time-wasting.

Hackett told BBC Sport: "Referees know where they stand and are expected to carry out the rules Fifa has declared.

"If a referee doesn't carry out these instructions his chances of getting a second game are somewhat remote."

The International Football Association Board - football's ultimate law-making body - met in early March and told referees to clamp down on elbowing, reckless tackling, shirt pulling, time-wasting and diving.

It also urged referees to be vigilant over behaviour in the wall at free-kicks, players wearing jewellery and the attitude towards officials.

There is accountability; if a referee does not perform he is likely to be sent home - and it's as harsh as that
    Keith Hackett

Elbowing and reckless tackling will result in straight red cards and Hackett, head of the Professional Game Match Officials Board (PGMOB), believes Fifa's clear guidelines will cut down on confusion for referees, fans and players.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2006/4999648.stm

Usually lasts till the 2nd game but whos WC will be over by then?

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

C. Ronaldo is always a good bet for a red card, he's got quite the temper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

PHB wrote:
    C. Ronaldo is always a good bet for a red card, he's got quite the temper.
    Yup, his manager has been publicly talking about his need for control after nearly getting sent off in their last friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Shirt Pulling, Should see lots of Penalty Kicks awarded if its enforced,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Well its good to see that there is pressure on the refs to perform. Diving in particular is something refs have to start acting on. What I have always found funny is that say when somebody goes down looking for a penalty and the ref is so ssure its not a peno, then he must be sure its a dive. Obviously doesnt count when its a fair tackle.

The only problem being that they take it too far. But thats Fifas responisbility to ensure the pressure they are applying is constructive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yup, his manager has been publicly talking about his need for control after nearly getting sent off in their last friendly.

I saw that friendly, i woulda decked the guy who did it to him.
    Ronaldo was running down the wings, the guy grabbed his arm trying to pull him down, Ronaldo kept running, then for no reason, the guy falls to the ground, rolls around for 3 minutes, and gets strechered off. Replay after replay nobody could see any contact and the guy kept holding his face.

Ronaldo was furious, darn right too! Scolari instantly took him off :)

---

Shirt pulling will not be enforced, no ref has the balls to do it. But if its done in the very first game of the world cup, which I think it might be, then it will change football entirely :)
    Come on ballsy ref in the first game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I find these sudden "clamp downs" immediatly before major tournaments laughable. It always results in ridiculos red cards early on and further inconsistantcy between refs who take it to the letter and those who treat it as being extra vigilent.

If you want a clamp down, start it at the beginning of qualification for every side so there is no confussion at the WC finals...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

good thing shearer isnt playing so!

mr. back in to the defender with elbows flailing wildly and earning a free kick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Ok I'm going to go with Robert Huth for first red card. he is always a bit reckless in the challange and loves to pull on opponents shirts!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

good thing shearer isnt playing so!

mr. back in to the defender with elbows flailing wildly and earning a free kick!

its beyond belief how he got away with that for years.

dont even get me started on that nazi salute he did after he scored :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

el rabitos wrote:
    dont even get me started on that nazi salute he did after he scored :eek:

I did one of those looking for a taxi on Saturday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

lol.

and you were just scratching your upper lip at the time as well were you?

i'll be interested to see when the first player goes for tackling from behind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

As soon as a player gets wrongly booked for diving the refs will bottle it. I dont like the elbow thing either. Are players meant to jump with their hands by their sides now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

As soon as a player gets wrongly booked for diving the refs will bottle it. I dont like the elbow thing either. Are players meant to jump with their hands by their sides now?

Their meant to since Lee Chapman retired. Not possible but the rules are the rules cant lead with the elbow or jump with elbows out. And cant elbow someone in the face at the deadball.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,510 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I dont like the elbow thing either. Are players meant to jump with their hands by their sides now?

You can jump without your elbows stickin towards another players face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

evilhomer wrote:
    Ok I'm going to go with Robert Huth for first red card. he is always a bit reckless in the challange and loves to pull on opponents shirts!

I am going to go for Heinze, he flails tose elbows of his about like crazy, reckon that refs will not be a fan of that and he will be first off.

Advertisement