Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Simple network - WHY DONT YOU WORK?!

• 05-06-2006 1:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

hey guys - i have 2 machiens, 1 server, 1 client, connected by a cross over cable. The network ip is standard on both 0.1 and 0.2 and they can ping each other, but no data can be transfared. I cant access any folders on \\192.168.0.1, i cant connect to the internet at all either. The only thing i can do is remote desktop into the server.

I have enabled ICS on the other network card on the 'server', but nothing gets through.

I am ashamed i cant get this working. There is definitly a connection, otherwise i wouldnt be able to write this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Have you added them both to the Hosts files?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

ICS uses dhcp, for the internet to work you need to configure DNS and gateway addresses on the client machine, so set the client to auto configure instead of assigning a static address

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Im sure i've set up networks and assigned static ip addresses with ICS before..

Jeez, i only stopped working with computers properly a year ago - i need to brush up! Ill keep you posted - but if i lose my remote desktop!!!!!!

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

it had nothing to do with the ip address. It was a security setting, blocking ActiveX.

You know i was about to punch the wall last night as i spent hours sorting this out. I feel useless after that encounter lol

Thanks for your time, sorry to waste it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

red_ice wrote:
    Im sure i've set up networks and assigned static ip addresses with ICS before..

Jeez, i only stopped working with computers properly a year ago - i need to brush up! Ill keep you posted - but if i lose my remote desktop!!!!!!

Cheers

ICS enables dhcp by default and the only problem i ever had was zonealarm blocking packets.

So check DHCP is/isnt runnig by dropping everything into auto.

Other than that worked and held my mate until his router showed up

• Advertisement
Advertisement