Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar Water Heating

Options
  • 05-06-2006 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'll shortly be commencing construction on an extension to my house. I've decided on a wood pellet boiler for the central heating. However, has anyone installed solar panels for their domestic hot water (in the summer at least)?

I've received a quotation from a firm in Sligo and it seems reasonable enough (however, they didn't quote for the installation costs!!). I don't want to go to the expense of installing the solar panels if they aren't worth the expense. I have a south/south westerly facing site so I get the sun for most of the day. I'd appreciate any advice from people who have or will be installing them.

Dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭flocker

Dave

Asked a similar question here Solar panels for water heating
    Evergreen had some intresting calculations on solar panel pay-back times for DHW.
    It may be worth looking at using panels with a thermal store for heating Domestic Hot Water and any central heating circuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 dras

I agree, have recently chosen panels (not working yet) but with hindsight I should have considered getting lots of panels and heating a big hot water tank to do the central (underfloor) heating system. Combine this with a wood pellet boiler perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

also looking for details on Solar hot Water/Heating, anyone installed a system for 1900 sq ft house for 4/5 persons. what was the cost and how do you find it.

I am modernising and extending a 1950's house, doing a double extension over the existing Garage, and wondering whether it is appropriate to consider Solar heating for water and/or Rads.

Any help on the following would be appreciated:
    1. Do you have to planning permission to install solar panels on roof,
    2. Does it matter from a planning point of view whether panels are at front, back side (aka Sat dishes)
    3. For a 1900 sqft home with 3baths what sive in m2 would be sufficeint to generate hot water
    4. What size water tank would be required
    5. Any ideas of the cost of such a system - panels, wiring, piping etc
    6. What is the best location for them - South Facing, SW Facing ?
    7. Experiences of the systems, what savings are to be had, what payback period and would it add value/appeal to buyers if were to sell on at a later date

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

cloughy wrote:

Any help on the following would be appreciated:
    1. Do you have to planning permission to install solar panels on roof,
    Yes
    2. Does it matter from a planning point of view whether panels are at front, back side (aka Sat dishes)
    Yes
    3. For a 1900 sqft home with 3baths what sive in m2 would be sufficeint to generate hot water
    7.5m2
    4. What size water tank would be required
    400l +
    5. Any ideas of the cost of such a system - panels, wiring, piping etc
    ~7000 depending on tank size and type of panel
    6. What is the best location for them - South Facing, SW Facing ?
    South or as near to it as possible
    7. Experiences of the systems, what savings are to be had, what payback period and would it add value/appeal to buyers if were to sell on at a later date
    So far all DHW since april has been supplied by solar including the poor excuse for the month of may.

Advertisement