Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English paper 1

Options
  • 05-06-2006 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭roberta c

Hey, does anyone have any advice on how to learn to write well in 2 days?!:confused: did well inpaper 2 in the pre, but barely passed 1.. which draged my mark down to a low b. n for some really stupid, stupid, lazy reason i havent touched it since!

so if any one has any tipps, magic tricks, ect....
    much appriciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭michelle_ie

know what genre your going to write in...like are u better at short stories, speeches what?
    read interesting topics in newspapers, start writing now, anything that comes into your mind write, leave it go back a while later and correct your mistakes, even start writing a diary just to get some fluency going in your writing.... practise some reviews, comparatives in exam papers, letters, etc.... just leave paper 2 now and start writing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Just come up with a simple and original plot before you go in for a narrative/personal essay.Again,under pressure your writing will inevitably improve.Learning a whole essay off seems like an awful waste of time imo anyway.

Paper 1 in English is the easiest of the honours papers imo.Question A and B are simply enough,and I could see myself pushing for a A on a personal essay.I'll probably do an argumentative essay however and push for a B because of time restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I'm fairly confident towards paper one. Got 78% in it in my mocks, my essay brought me way down. But 45/50 and 48/50 in the other two sections aint shabby! I feel confident writing any style of essay now though.

-NB- Do not write a short story unless you are 100% sure it is something special! Believe me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

OctavarIan wrote:
    -NB- Do not write a short story unless you are 100% sure it is something special! Believe me!

why do you say that??

why do you say that??

Because examiners hate mediocore short storys and they will mark it HARD! I know from experience!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

i guess..but they're the safest option for me so i'm gonna do one!

i guess..but they're the safest option for me so i'm gonna do one!

I think I will do one if the topic is good, but if not I'll pray that we have to write an article for a magazine aimed at our age group. Those are so handy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Short stories are marked hard full stop, because a load of people prepare an essay in something else, realise they can't use it then think "Sure I can read a story, that's easy"

Personal Essays all the way!

thow in opinons, always say you hate something, and love something else, give your views vs. the worlds..

and you're set

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Rob30888

If you can make the examiner think and see it your side of view if it's a different one to the norm, you'll get a high mark (that sounds so like half the ****e I spout in the poetry q ;))

• Advertisement

See, I just read "Personal Essay" as "Short story where i have to use the 1st person"

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

Raphael wrote:
    See, I just read "Personal Essay" as "Short story where i have to use the 1st person"

Yeah same here, is that not it?:confused:

You can do it as opinion piece otherwise. I just write good narrative, so I use my strengths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

I'm not great at essays at all. Got 43 out of 100 for the one i did in mocks so i decided to learn one. I wrote one on a theme that is fairly general and i hope to change it around to suit. if i cant do that i'll just have to make a new one up. my teacher corrected it and said it was excellent so here's hopin.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Stick in loads of useless oversized words too - that always looks good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭roberta c

yeah, got 42 out of 100 in the composing in the pre, which is annoying cause i averaged a b in everything else! so really, got a day to sort out that Q! and find some king lear quotes, completly forgot about htem till someone mentioned them here! thank you whoever it was!

think il try go with the personal essay if its a half decent topic that i have an opinion on

In all honesty, though, the story or essay isn't that important. As long as you can describe things well, it'll look good :D Instead of saying "It was hot", say "The sun was beaming radiant light that cast a warm glow across all it touched." Albeit summat less ****e ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

Rob30888 wrote:
    In all honesty, though, the story or essay isn't that important. As long as you can describe things well, it'll look good :D Instead of saying "It was hot", say "The sun was beaming radiant light that cast a warm glow across all it touched." Albeit summat less ****e ;)

I don't know...I'd say they award more marks for well developed characters and an interesting, well handled and consistent plot. Flowery language is all well and good but it can get boring!
    I have a question though, did anyone's teacher mention anything about using different types of register in the one essay? I'm considering writing an article (to stay on the safe side!) but I do like writing narrative so could I mix them? Like being descriptive and atmospheric in the opening paragraph, but then going on to give opinions?

Faerie wrote:
    I don't know...I'd say they award more marks for well developed characters and an interesting, well handled and consistent plot. Flowery language is all well and good but it can get boring!
    I have a question though, did anyone's teacher mention anything about using different types of register in the one essay? I'm considering writing an article (to stay on the safe side!) but I do like writing narrative so could I mix them? Like being descriptive and atmospheric in the opening paragraph, but then going on to give opinions?

You'll get big points for personal opinons, the examiners love that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

Are ye doing a little spider plan thing for yer essay??
    And if so, are ye doing it on the page where the essay starts where the examiner can see, or getting a separate page and then just putting that page in the back of the booklet when you're finished?

I havn't wrote an essay in months, I'm really scared! My teacher told us to read over our past essays that we did well in to get the juices flowing again!

• Advertisement

deisedolly wrote:
    Are ye doing a little spider plan thing for yer essay??
    And if so, are ye doing it on the page where the essay starts where the examiner can see, or getting a separate page and then just putting that page in the back of the booklet when you're finished?

I havn't wrote an essay in months, I'm really scared! My teacher told us to read over our past essays that we did well in to get the juices flowing again!

I just tend to write little points on the question paper. It looks good in a way though as it'll look you haven't just pulled it out of your ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

Does anybody else think that the comprehensions may be decent this year? They really can't get any worse than the previous years. The guy picking them just does not know good entertaining writing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭roberta c

yeah, do you hand up your rough work page? or do you do your notes in the booklet n lable them or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

write on the back page of your answer book ''rough work'' or ''spelling'' and then you can work away on the back page

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭blahhh

I just tend to write little points on the question paper. It looks good in a way though as it'll look you haven't just pulled it out of your ass

Do you hand that up then, I never know where to do those plan thingys.

Hand everything you do up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭michelle_ie

an obiturary has never appeared.. and it was topical with george best dying, might be good idea to draw one up on the net and get an idea of the layour

Advertisement