Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice article about the next gen CPU war

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Gonna be a dramtic shift..

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I was thinking of getting a opteron 170 or a X2 3800......

But even a stock $200 conroe can run rings around them.....

And some people even got the conroes to 4ghz on water:eek:

So I might get a E6600 a mainboard and some Crucial ballistix DDR2.......

Decisions!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

I think it'd be silly not to wait for conroe at this stage. The E6700 is beating the FX-62 by a decent margin at almost everything... It doesn't take much overclocking to get the E6700 speeds either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

plus you have to remember that the E6700 is going to be coming out for arond 600 $, which is nearly only half of the FX 62 with it's brutal 1 grand

can see a major upgrade in the next three months here

Plus I think it is sad that AMD are laughing at Intel's decision to go back to old Tech and let Netburst die, it just shows that Intel learns from it's mistakes and can take the hit without having any major problems. I sure would like to see AMD do the same, even if they are planning to buy ATI to boost their company

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

hmm... but like the reporter said, i'd like to see some more independent results before making my mind up. But even if the performance gain is only marginal the price difference is phenomenol? Will we be seeing FX-62's at $250 to compete? Yes please :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

as usual.. always best to wait until its released to see some real-life preformance numbers. Cant wait until amd go to 65nm too :D
    . it is the way the cpu/gpu market goes though, one minute your on top the next your obsolote

65nm would be cooler then 90nm would it be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

awhir wrote:
    65nm would be cooler then 90nm would it be.

yeh and require less power

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

supposedly Intel are already at 15nm technology, and I think thats just about the limit of silicon. They where at 20nm's 4 years ago and I was expecting to be buying chips of that size now. I'd say they have the chips ready and are just slowly releasing smaller and smaller ones into the market. The good thing about this CPU war is that it will force Intel to release technology it was probably hoping to slowly realease over the next decade to keep up with competition. I do hope all the laughing from the AMD camp can be backed up by something of the same power and price

• Advertisement

L31mr0d wrote:
    supposedly Intel are already at 15nm technology, and I think thats just about the limit of silicon. They where at 20nm's 4 years ago and I was expecting to be buying chips of that size now. I'd say they have the chips ready and are just slowly releasing smaller and smaller ones into the market. The good thing about this CPU war is that it will force Intel to release technology it was probably hoping to slowly realease over the next decade to keep up with competition. I do hope all the laughing from the AMD camp can be backed up by something of the same power and price

i really hope amd does something to kick there ass.l31mrod cheak your pms.

Advertisement