Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

honours maths theorems!!

Options
  • 05-06-2006 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭

ok i usually hate predictions because they are pointless but does anyone hav any idea whats expected up???there is just tooo many!!(please state where you got the information also)pleeaase!thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

By thoerems i presume you mean proofs..... well theres usually only two come up each year and i think at least one of them will be in the trigonometry question. There a very small part of the course so i think you'd be better to have a quick look over all of them and then if one comes up hope for the attempt mark, that is unless ur lookin for an A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

I don't really have a source. I think there will be trigonometric prrofs such as cos(a+b)=cosACosB-sinASinB. Thats not till monday though. For paper one. Worry about the calculus rules,factor theorem and de moivres theorem. That should cover you really.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

thanks that narrows it down anyway,god i hate them though!and they're so pointless!hoping for a B2 so ill try and know them as best i can and hope for the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Line theorems too. There's a good few of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

The factor theorem came up last year. For trigonometry cos(A-B) = whatever it is could come up, or some form of the cosine rule. Trigonometric proofs are usually fine because it just involves some manipulation of pg.9 of the tables, but those two are impossible unless you learn them off.

For calculus, the first derivatives of x*2 and cosx might come up. They're the two that haven't come up for a while.

For complex numbers, de moivres theorem hasn't come up in a 'proofey' way for a while. There was a part C on another aspect of the theorem though last year, so *maybe* the part C will be matrices. There's not much they can ask for a matrices part C except the A*-1PA thing.

What else...there could be a proof on some of the simation (the sigma thing) rules for sequences & series.

That's all I can remember at the moment!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Don't forget the proof by induction of d/dx (x^n)= nx^(n-1). I had never even seen that until it came up in a mock paper we got. Also, the pUn+2 + qUn+1 + rUn=0 difference equation thing in probability has a proof.

Just be sure to know differentiation from first principles, because it's so easy it'll piss you off if it comes up and you don't know it. And the Volumes of Revolution thing in integration. I know it came up last year but for a (c) part it's a joke if you just know it.

That, de moivre's theorem, plus the only 3 trig proofs that are in any way difficult - cos(a+b), sin(a+b) and the cosine rule - should cover basically all of the bases.

Advertisement