Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving out question...

Options
  • 05-06-2006 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭

Moving out in the next month or so and I've one or two questions ...

We're doing a proper tidy up of the place so it should be pretty spotless ... but I'd guess the walls could do with a paint we've been there nearly 2 years.

Does this affect our deposit ? Is it up to us to sort it out or lose out on the deposit ? or is this considered normal wear and tear ?

(there is no damage as such ... place is a bit damp so there could be a few spots of damp / mould that I'd assume a paint would solve )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

That's normal wear and tear. Make sure that your landlord knows that you know the residential tenancies act inside out and there should be no problems.

Edit - did the damp occur during your tenancy? Did you tell the landlord about it? If not, don't worry; but remember in future to tell your landlord, in writing if possible, about everything that goes wrong even if you don't need it fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

That's normal wear and tear. Make sure that your landlord knows that you know the residential tenancies act inside out and there should be no problems.

Edit - did the damp occur during your tenancy? Did you tell the landlord about it? If not, don't worry; but remember in future to tell your landlord, in writing if possible, about everything that goes wrong even if you don't need it fixed.

Told the land lord .. and he said open the windows ... yeah ... great idea in winter .. and great when its a ground floor apt ... that you can't open the windows to ... or else you're "opening" the windows...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I think any decent landlord would class that as normal wear and tear, but it really depends on their character. I've come across landlords over the years who'll try all sorts to hang on to some of your deposit and I made a claim against one to get my money back.

The place I'm currently renting has a 'wear and tear' list attached to the lease as it's been rented out quite a few times before. On moving in, me and my housemates went through everything on the list with the agent (it notes every carpet stain, wall mark etc.) and an agreement of what a reasonable amount of wear and tear during our tenancy would be, and we all signed it. I feel a bit safer having this and think I will insist on it now in any place I rent.

As long as you're telling your landlord about problems as they occur, it should be fine.

Advertisement